76-16-112. Creation of Montana grass conservation commission -- membership -- meetings -- compensation. (1) There is a Montana grass conservation commission. The commission is composed of five members appointed by the governor to serve staggered 3-year terms.
(2) (a) The governor, after giving full consideration to representation by both large and small operators, shall appoint:
(i) two members who are either officers of or who serve on the board of directors of a state district;
(ii) two members who hold active grazing preference rights within a state district; and
(iii) one member of the public who possesses a general understanding of the livestock industry and the proper use of rangelands within state districts for the purpose of livestock production.
(b) Ex officio members may be appointed by the commission as needed.
(3) Members may not be appointed for more than three consecutive terms. The commission shall annually elect from among its members a presiding officer and a vice presiding officer. The presiding officer shall preside over all meetings of the commission, except that the vice presiding officer shall assume the duties of the presiding officer in the absence of the presiding officer.
(4) (a) The commission shall meet annually in Montana at a place determined by the presiding officer.
(b) The commission may hold other meetings at times and places as necessary upon the call of the presiding officer or the request of a majority of commission members and upon at least 7 days' written notice to the commission members of the time and place of the meeting.
(c) A majority of commission members constitutes a quorum for the transaction of business. The commission shall keep accurate records of all business that is considered, and the presiding officer shall sign all orders, minutes, and other documents of the commission.
(5) Commission members may receive no compensation for their services, but members are entitled to compensation for actual expenses incurred in carrying out their duties, including travel and per diem.
(6) The commission is allocated to the department for administrative purposes only as provided in 2-15-121. The commission shall, if it determines that personnel services are required, hire its own personnel, and 2-15-121(2)(d) does not apply. The secretary must be employed at the discretion of the commission.