Montana State Legislature
Tips for Effectively Contacting a Legislator
A well-written letter is one of the best ways to let your legislator know your thoughts and opinions about a particular issue. Here are some tips for getting your message across effectively:
- Be brief. Legislators have many demands on their time. They appreciate letters that are short and to the point.
- Put the message in your own words. Form letters and petitions don’t have the same impact as personal, informed opinions.
- Address your letter to a specific legislator or legislators. Depending on your message, you may want to write to the sponsor of a bill, certain members of a committee, or your own legislators. Don’t address your letter to the entire Legislature.
- Identify bills by their number, title, and sponsor.
- Explain your position on the bill and ask for the legislator’s support or opposition.
- Give any sources of information that you use to make your point.
- Include your name, address, and a little about who you are (for example, where you work or what school you attend).
Address letters to:
PO Box 200500
Helena, MT 59620-0500
Montana House of Representatives
PO Box 200400
Helena, MT 59620-0400
NOTICE: Legislators are publicly elected officials. Communications with Legislators involving legislative business may be subject to the Right to Know provisions of Montana's Constitution and may be considered a "public record" pursuant to Montana law. As such, email sent or received, its sender and receiver, and the email's contents and attachments, may be subject to public disclosure, except as otherwise provided by Montana law.
During the Interim
Outside of a legislative session, the legislative branch does not maintain staff or facilities through which constituents may contact their legislators.
Instead, constituents may contact legislators directly through any of the means listed under the Address and Email (if provided) headings on their individual webpages.
Individual webpages may be found by clicking on a legislator's name on the legislative roster.