7-14-212. District to be governed by transportation board -- election of board. (1) The district must be governed by a transportation board. The commissioners and the governing bodies of each city or town included or partially included in the district shall determine if the board is to be elected or appointed. If the board is to be elected, the initial and subsequent elections of board members must be held in accordance with Title 13, chapter 1, part 5.
(2) The commissioners and the governing body by resolution shall:
(a) determine the number of board members;
(b) set the term of office;
(c) determine the makeup of the board with respect to the number of appointed members that will represent each county, city, or town;
(d) determine the number of candidates for an elected board whose names must be placed on the ballot; and
(e) establish a procedure for filling vacancies on the board, including a provision for public notice.
(3) The commissioners and the governing body may, at any time, adopt a resolution changing the method by which the members of the board are selected. The resolution must contain a provision that the term of office of the current members of the board may not be shortened.
(4) If the board is elected and if the number of candidates is equal to or less than the number of positions to be elected, the election administrator may cancel the election in accordance with 13-1-304. If an election is not held, the board shall declare elected by acclamation each candidate who filed a nominating petition for a position.
(5) If there are no nominees for an elective office of a member of the board, the vacancy must be filled as provided in subsection (2)(e).
(6) A member of the board taking office pursuant to subsection (4) or (5) serves a term of office as if elected to that office.