16-1-409. Failure to make beer tax returns -- penalties and interest. (1) If a brewer or wholesaler subject to the payment of the tax provided for in 16-1-406 fails to make any return required by this code or fails to make payment of the tax within the time provided in this part, the department shall, after the time has expired, determine and fix the amount of tax due the state from the delinquent brewer or wholesaler.
(2) The department shall then proceed to collect the tax with penalties and interest. Upon request of the department, the attorney general shall prosecute in any court of competent jurisdiction an action to collect the tax.
(3) If all or part of the tax imposed upon a brewer or wholesaler by this part is not paid when due, the department may issue a warrant for distraint as provided in Title 15, chapter 1, part 7. The resulting lien has precedence over any other claim, lien, or demand filed or recorded after the warrant is issued.
(4) An action may not be maintained to enjoin the collection of the tax or any part of the tax.
(5) Any tax owed by a brewer or wholesaler under this code not paid within the time provided is delinquent, and penalty and interest must be added to the delinquent tax as provided in 15-1-216.
(6) A brewer or wholesaler who fails, neglects, or refuses to make the return to the department provided for in 16-3-211 or 16-3-231 or refuses to allow the examination as provided for in 16-3-211 or 16-3-231 or fails to make an accurate return according to the manner prescribed is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined in an amount not exceeding $1,000.