16-11-103. Powers of department. (1) The department may prescribe rules not inconsistent with the provisions of this chapter for the detailed and efficient administration of this chapter. All rules and orders promulgated must be published promptly and a copy distributed to each wholesale licensee. The department is authorized to adopt rules for the effective collection and refund of the tax imposed by this chapter.
(2) The department of revenue and the department of justice and their duly authorized agents may conduct inquiries and hearings, and any member of the department of revenue, department of justice, or any agent may administer oaths and take testimony under oath relative to the matter of inquiry. The director, the attorney general, or an authorized agent may subpoena witnesses and require the production of books, papers, and documents pertinent to the inquiry. The director, the attorney general, or an agent, after the hearing, shall make findings and issue an order in writing. The findings and order must be filed in the office of the department of revenue or the department of justice and must be open for public inspection.
(3) The department is authorized to contract with the department of justice for the investigations required under this chapter. The department may appoint additional assistants and establish an additional division of tobacco product enforcement as required to carry out the provisions of this chapter.
(4) The department and the department of justice are authorized to employ clerical and field assistants necessary to properly administer the provisions of this chapter.
(5) The department of justice may appoint one or more investigators or prosecuting officers who, under its direction, shall perform the duties it may require.
(6) When requested by the department of revenue, the department of justice shall:
(a) investigate all matters relating to the purchase, sale, importation, exportation, possession, and delivery of tobacco products; and
(b) serve as a liaison to local law enforcement authorities in matters relating to tobacco law enforcement.