16-12-222. Licensing of marijuana transporters. (1) (a) A marijuana transporter license may be issued to a person to provide logistics, distribution, delivery, and storage of marijuana and marijuana products. A marijuana transporter license is valid for 2 years. A licensed marijuana transporter is responsible for the marijuana and marijuana products once it takes control of the marijuana or marijuana product.
(b) A marijuana transporter may contract with multiple licensed marijuana businesses.
(c) On or after March 1, 2022, and except as otherwise provided in this section, all persons who transport marijuana or marijuana products shall hold a valid marijuana transporter license. The department shall begin accepting applications on or after January 1, 2022. The department may allow for a reasonable grace period for complying with this requirement.
(d) The department shall establish by rule the requirements for licensure and the applicable fee for a marijuana transporter license or the renewal of a transporter license. The department may not license a person to be a marijuana transporter if the applicant meets any of the criteria established for denial of a license under 16-12-203(2).
(2) A person who is not licensed under this chapter must apply for and obtain a marijuana transporter license in order to transport marijuana or marijuana products.
(3) A registered cardholder or consumer is not required to possess a marijuana transporter license when purchasing marijuana or marijuana products at a dispensary.
(4) A person who obtains a cultivator license, manufacturer license, adult-use dispensary license, medical marijuana dispensary license, or testing laboratory license or is an employee of one of those licensees, may:
(a) transport marijuana or marijuana products between other licensed premises without a transporter license so long as the transportation:
(i) complies with rules implementing the seed-to-sale tracking system set forth in 16-12-105; and
(ii) includes a printed manifest containing information as required by the department; and
(b) deliver marijuana from a dispensary to a registered cardholder provided that the person delivering the marijuana or marijuana products:
(i) complies with rules adopted by the department; and
(ii) includes a printed delivery manifest from a dispensary to a registered cardholder containing the registered cardholder's address and cardholder number and the dispensary's address and license number.
(5) (a) A marijuana transporter licensee may maintain a licensed premises to temporarily store marijuana and marijuana products and to use as a centralized distribution point in a jurisdiction where the local government approval provisions contained in 16-12-301 have been satisfied or in a county in which the majority of voters voted to approve Initiative Measure No. 190 in the November 3, 2020, general election.
(b) The licensed premises must be located in a jurisdiction that permits the operation of a marijuana business and comply with rules adopted by the department.
(c) A marijuana transporter may store and distribute marijuana and marijuana products from this location. A storage facility must meet the same security requirements that are required to obtain a license under this chapter.
(6) A marijuana transporter shall use the seed-to-sale tracking system developed pursuant to 16-12-105 to create shipping manifests documenting the transport of retail marijuana and retail marijuana products throughout the state.
(7) A marijuana transporter may deliver marijuana or marijuana products to licensed premises or registered cardholders only and may not make deliveries of marijuana or marijuana products to individual consumers.
(8) A person delivering marijuana or marijuana products for a marijuana transporter must possess a valid marijuana worker permit provided for under 16-12-226 and be a current employee of the marijuana transporter licensee.