19-3-1106. Limited reemployment -- reduction of service retirement benefit upon exceeding limits -- reporting obligations -- liability -- exceptions. (1) A retired member under 65 years of age who was hired prior to July 1, 2011, who has been terminated from employment for at least 90 days, and who is receiving a service retirement benefit or early retirement benefit may return to employment covered by the retirement system for a period not to exceed 960 hours in any calendar year without returning to active service and without any effect to the retiree's retirement benefit. The retirement benefit for any retiree exceeding this 960-hour limitation in any calendar year after retirement must be temporarily reduced $1 for each $1 earned after working 960 hours in that calendar year.
(2) A retired member who is 65 years of age or older but less than 70 1/2 years of age, who has been terminated from employment for at least 90 days, and who returns to employment covered by the retirement system is either subject to the 960-hour limitation of subsection (1) or may earn in any calendar year an amount that, when added to the retiree's current annual retirement benefit, will not exceed the member's annualized highest average compensation, adjusted for inflation as of January 1 of the current calendar year, whichever limitation provides the higher limit on earned compensation to the retiree. Upon reaching the applicable limitation, the retiree's benefits must be temporarily reduced $1 for each $1 of compensation earned in service beyond the applicable limitation during that calendar year.
(3) (a) The employer of a retiree returning to employment covered by the retirement system shall certify to the board the number of hours worked by the retiree and the gross compensation paid to the retiree in that employment during any pay period after retirement. The certification of hours and compensation may be submitted electronically pursuant to rules adopted by the board.
(b) An employer that fails to timely or accurately report the employment of, time worked by, or compensation paid to a retired member as required under subsection (3)(a) is jointly and severally liable with the retired member for repayment to the retirement system of retirement benefits paid to which the member was not entitled, plus interest.
(4) Except as provided in 19-3-412 and 19-3-413, a retiree returning to employment covered by the retirement system may elect to return to active service at any time during this period of employment covered by the retirement system.
(5) The following members who return to employment covered by the retirement system are not subject to the hour or earnings limitations in subsections (1) and (2) but are subject to the reporting requirements in subsection (3):
(a) a retired member who is 70 1/2 years of age or older; or
(b) an elected official in a covered position who, as a retired member, declines optional membership as provided in 19-3-413.
(6) If a retired member is employed by an employer in a position that is reportable to the retirement system and the retired member is concurrently working for the employer in another position that is not reportable to the system, the position that is not reportable is considered to be part of the position that is reportable to the retirement system. All earnings of the retired member that are generated by these positions are reportable to the retirement system.
(7) (a) For the purposes of this section, "employment covered by the retirement system" includes:
(i) work performed by a retiree through a professional employer arrangement, an employee leasing arrangement, or a temporary service contractor as those terms are defined in 39-8-102; and
(ii) services performed by a retiree as an independent contractor for an employer participating in the system.
(b) For purposes of this section, compensation for a retiree covered by subsection (7)(a) is limited to compensation for the work performed by the retiree and does not include any additional payment for overhead costs or costs not directly related to the work performed.