19-20-411. Absence because of employment-related injury. (1) Subject to the limitation in subsection (6), a member who is absent because of an injury entitling the member to workers' compensation payments may purchase as creditable service the time during which the member is absent. To purchase this service, a member shall contribute to the retirement system as provided in subsection (2) upon the member's return to contributing membership service.
(2) (a) A member who became a member before July 1, 1989, shall contribute an amount equal to:
(i) the contributions that the member would have made had the member not been absent, based on the member's compensation at the commencement of the absence;
(ii) the interest that begins to accrue 1 year from the date that the member returns to covered employment; and
(iii) the interest not paid by the employer under subsection (3).
(b) A member who became a member on or after July 1, 1989, shall pay the actuarial cost of the service based on the most recent valuation of the system.
(3) When a member elects to contribute under subsection (2)(a), the employer shall contribute an amount equal to the contributions that would have been made by the employer had the member not been absent, based on the member's compensation at the commencement of the absence. The employer may contribute an amount equal to the interest accruing on the employer's contributions calculated in the same manner as interest on the employee's contributions under subsection (2)(a). If the employer elects not to pay the interest, this amount must be paid by the employee.
(4) A member shall file with the retirement board a written notice of the member's intent to pay the contributions under subsection (2).
(5) Payment of the employee's contributions may be made in one sum at the time of filing the notice or in installments before termination of covered employment as agreed between the board and the member.
(6) A member absent as provided in subsection (1) loses the right to contribute under this section if the member's accumulated normal contributions are refunded under 19-20-603.
(7) The maximum amount of membership service allowable under this section is 2 years.