Montana Code Annotated 2021



Part 1. Certification of Teaching and Supervisory Personnel

Emergency Authorization Of Employment

20-4-111. Emergency authorization of employment. (1) A district may request from the superintendent of public instruction an emergency authorization of employment for a person who is not the holder of a valid Montana teacher or specialist certificate and a required endorsement as an instructor of pupils when the district cannot secure the services of a person holding a valid Montana certificate and a required endorsement. The person must have previously held a valid teacher or specialist certificate from Montana or another state or shall provide acceptable evidence of academic qualifications or significant experience related to the area for which the emergency authorization of employment is being sought as prescribed by the policies of the board of public education for and during an emergency. Emergency authorization of employment must indicate:

(a) the district to which the authorization is issued;

(b) the person whom the district is authorized to employ;

(c) the endorsement for elementary or secondary instruction and the specific subject fields for which authorization to employ the person is given; and

(d) the school fiscal year for which the emergency authorization of employment is given.

(2) Emergency authorization of employment of a person is valid for the school fiscal year identified on the authorization and may be renewed in accordance with the board of public education policies. A fee not to exceed $6 and, if no teacher or specialist certificate or emergency authorization of employment has ever been issued for the person, a filing fee of $6 must be paid for the issuance of an emergency authorization of employment. The superintendent of public instruction shall deposit the fees with the state treasurer to the credit of the general fund.

(3) Emergency authorization of employment of a person may be revoked for good cause in accordance with the provisions of 20-4-110.

History: En. 75-6011 by Sec. 81, Ch. 5, L. 1971; R.C.M. 1947, 75-6011; amd. Sec. 13, Ch. 511, L. 1979; amd. Sec. 26, Ch. 83, L. 1989; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 103, L. 1989; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 495, L. 1991; amd. Sec. 6, Ch. 247, L. 2021.