23-2-502. Definitions. As used in this part, unless the context clearly requires a different meaning, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Certificate of number" means the certificate issued by the department of justice, an authorized agent, as defined in 61-1-101, or a county treasurer to the owner of a motorboat or sailboat, assigning the motorboat or sailboat an identifying number and containing other information as required by the department of justice.
(2) "Department" means the department of fish, wildlife, and parks of the state of Montana.
(3) "Documented vessel" means a vessel that has and is required to have a valid marine document as a vessel of the United States.
(4) "Identifying number" means the boat number set forth in the certificate of number and properly displayed on the motorboat or sailboat.
(5) "Lienholder" means a person holding a security interest.
(6) "Manufacturer" means a person engaged in the business of manufacturing or importing new and unused vessels or new and unused outboard motors for the purpose of sale or trade.
(7) (a) "Motorboat" means a vessel, including a personal watercraft or pontoon, propelled by any machinery, motor, or engine of any description, whether or not the machinery, motor, or engine is the principal source of propulsion. The term includes boats temporarily equipped with detachable motors or engines.
(b) The term does not include a vessel that has a valid marine document issued by the U.S. coast guard or any successor federal agency.
(8) "Operate" means to navigate or otherwise use a motorboat or a vessel.
(9) "Operator" means the person who navigates, drives, or is otherwise in immediate control of a motorboat or vessel.
(10) (a) "Owner" means a person, other than a lienholder, having the property in or title to a motorboat or vessel. The term includes a person entitled to the use or possession of a motorboat or vessel subject to an interest in another person, reserved or created by an agreement securing payment or performance of an obligation.
(b) The term does not include a lessee under a lease not intended as security.
(11) "Passenger" means each person carried on board a vessel other than:
(a) the owner or the owner's representative;
(b) the operator;
(c) bona fide members of the crew engaged in the business of the vessel who have not contributed any consideration for their carriage and who are paid for their services; or
(d) a guest on board a vessel that is being used exclusively for pleasure purposes who has not contributed any consideration, directly or indirectly, for the guest's carriage.
(12) "Person" means an individual, partnership, firm, corporation, association, or other entity.
(13) "Personal watercraft" means a vessel that uses an outboard motor or an inboard engine powering a water jet pump as its primary source of propulsion and that is designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing, or kneeling on the vessel rather than by the conventional method of sitting or standing in the vessel.
(14) "Registration decal" means an adhesive sticker produced by the department of justice and issued by the department of justice, an authorized agent as defined in 61-1-101, or a county treasurer to the owner of a motorboat, sailboat, or personal watercraft as proof of payment of fees imposed on the motorboat, sailboat, or personal watercraft for the registration period indicated on the decal as recorded by the department of justice under 61-3-101.
(15) (a) "Sailboat" means a vessel that uses a sail and wind as its primary source of propulsion.
(b) The term does not include a canoe or kayak propelled by wind.
(16) "Security interest" means an interest that is reserved or created by an agreement that secures payment or performance of an obligation and is valid against third parties generally.
(17) "Uniform state waterway marking system" means one of two categories:
(a) a system of aids to navigation to supplement the federal system of marking in state waters;
(b) a system of regulatory markers to warn a vessel operator of dangers or to provide general information and directions.
(18) "Validation decal" means an adhesive sticker produced by the department and issued by the department or a county treasurer to the owner of a motorboat, sailboat, or personal watercraft verifying the identifying number assigned to the motorboat, sailboat, or personal watercraft and the name and address of the owner to meet requirements of the federal standard numbering system.
(19) "Vessel" means every description of watercraft, unless otherwise defined by the department, other than a seaplane on the water, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water.
(20) "Waters of this state" means any waters within the territorial limits of this state.