28-2-2101. Definitions. As used in this part, unless the context requires otherwise, the following terms apply:
(1) "Construction contract" means a written agreement between an owner and a contractor for the contractor to construct or improve or to provide construction management for the construction or improvement of an improvement to real property.
(2) "Contractor" means a person who has signed a construction contract with an owner.
(3) "Government entity" means a city, town, county, consolidated municipal-county government, school district, or other special district.
(4) "Improve" means to build, alter, demolish, repair, construct, expand, cover, excavate, grade, fill, clear, plant, landscape, or furnish material or labor, or both for an improvement.
(5) "Improvement" means all or a part of a residential or commercial building, structure, area of real property, quantity of earth or fill material, tree or shrubbery, driveway, roadway, or parking area.
(6) "Owner" means a governmental entity or private entity that has a legal interest in the real property improved or to be improved by the performance of the construction contract. An owner may, in the contract, designate another person to represent the owner for the purpose of overseeing the performance of the construction contract and in handling administrative tasks respecting the construction contract.
(7) "Receipt" or "receive" means actual receipt.
(8) "Subcontract" means a contract between a contractor and a subcontractor or between a subcontractor and another subcontractor, the purpose of which is the performance of all or a part of the construction contract.
(9) "Subcontractor" means a person who has contracted with a contractor or another subcontractor for the purposes of performance of all or a part of a subcontract.