30-14-1410. Disclosure and contract requirements. (1) When contacting a consumer, a seller or telemarketer shall promptly disclose in a clear and conspicuous manner the following:
(a) the identity of the seller or telemarketer;
(b) that the purpose of the call is to sell goods or services;
(c) the nature of the goods or services; and
(d) that a purchase or payment is not necessary to be able to win a prize or participate in a prize promotion.
(2) Prior to requesting any payment from the consumer a seller or telemarketer shall disclose in a clear and conspicuous manner the following information:
(a) the total cost of the goods or services;
(b) all material restrictions, limitations, and conditions pertaining to the purchase of the goods or services;
(c) in any prize promotion:
(i) the odds of being able to receive the prize or, if the odds are not calculable in advance, the factors used in calculating the odds; and
(ii) the "no-purchase no-payment" method of participating in the prize promotion with either instructions on how to participate or an address or a local or toll-free telephone number that consumers may write or call for information on how to participate.
(3) A seller or telemarketer may not misrepresent, directly or by implication, any of the following information:
(a) any material aspect of performance, effectiveness, nature, or basic characteristics of goods or services;
(b) any material aspect of the nature or terms of the seller's or telemarketer's refund, cancellation, exchange, or repurchase policies; or
(c) any material aspect of a prize promotion, including but not limited to the nature or value of the prize or that a purchase or payment is required to win a prize or to participate in a prize promotion.
(4) (a) Except as provided in subsection (6), in addition to any other right to revoke an offer, in the case of a sale made by telephone, the buyer may cancel the sale at any time prior to signing an agreement or offer to purchase the goods or services.
(b) Cancellation occurs:
(i) when written notice of cancellation is given to the seller or telemarketer; or
(ii) when written notice of cancellation, properly addressed and with postage prepaid, is deposited in the mail.
(c) A notice of cancellation does not have to be in the form prescribed by the seller or telemarketer if it indicates the intention of the buyer to cancel the sale of goods or services.
(d) In the case of goods, a telemarketing sale may not be canceled if the goods cannot be returned to the seller or telemarketer in substantially the same condition as when received by the buyer.
(5) (a) Except as provided in subsection (6), a telemarketing sale may not be considered final until the purchaser receives the notice required by subsection (5)(b).
(b) A seller or telemarketer shall furnish the purchaser, in the same language as that principally used in the sales presentation, a written notice, in not less than 10-point boldface type, containing a statement in substantially the following form:
"You, the purchaser, may cancel this transaction without any penalty or obligation at any time prior to midnight of the third business day after receipt of this notice. If you cancel, any payments made by you under the sale will be returned within 10 business days of the day your written notice of cancellation is received by the seller and any security interest connected to this transaction will be canceled.
If you cancel, you must make available to the seller at your residence, in substantially as good condition as when received, any goods delivered to you under this sales contract; or you may, if you wish, comply with the seller's instructions regarding returning the goods at the seller's expense and risk.
If you do make the goods available to the seller and the seller does not pick up the goods within 20 days of the date of your notice of cancellation or if the seller does not agree to assume the expense and risk of the return of the goods to the seller, you may retain or dispose of the goods without any further obligation. If you fail to make the goods available to the seller or if you agree to return the goods to the seller and fail to return the goods, then you remain liable for the performance of all your obligations under the sales contract.
To cancel this transaction, mail, deliver, or telegram a written notice of cancellation to (name of seller) at the following address (address of the seller)."
(c) In addition to the notice required in subsection (5)(b), the seller or telemarketer shall furnish the purchaser with:
(i) the seller's or telemarketer's name and the name of the person to whom a notice of cancellation is to be given if different from the seller's or telemarketer's name;
(ii) the legal name of the company for whom the seller or telemarketer is soliciting;
(iii) the seller's or telemarketer's street address and telephone number; and
(iv) the date and a description of the telephone solicitation.
(6) A sale is not subject to the requirements of subsections (4) and (5) if the seller or telemarketer, at a minimum, has a policy of:
(a) accepting returns or canceling services in connection with the return of unused and undamaged goods or canceled services for a period of not less than 7 days after the date of delivery to the consumer and providing a cash refund for a cash purchase or issuing a credit for a credit purchase applied to the account that was debited;
(b) disclosing the seller's or telemarketer's refund and return policy to the consumer by telephone or in written material included with advertising or promotional material or with the delivery of the goods or services; and
(c) restoring payments or issuing credits pursuant to subsection (6)(a) within 30 days after the date on which the seller or telemarketer receives the returned goods or notice of cancellation of services. A seller or telemarketer who discloses in writing that a sale is subject to "satisfaction guaranteed", "free inspection", "a no-risk guarantee", or similar words or phrases must be considered to have met the review and return for refund policy requirements of this subsection.
(7) It is an unfair and deceptive act or practice to fail to comply with or to misrepresent the requirements of this section.
(8) In addition to subsection (7), it is a violation of this part for any seller or telemarketer to engage in any other unfair or deceptive conduct that would create a likelihood of confusion or misunderstanding to any reasonable consumer.
(9) Failure to comply with the provisions of this section is a violation of 30-14-103 and is subject to the penalty provisions of 30-14-1414 and the Montana Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Act of 1973.