31-3-102. Definitions and rules of construction. (1) Definitions and rules of construction set forth in this section are applicable for the purposes of this part.
(2) The term "consumer" means an individual.
(3) (a) The term "consumer report" means any written, oral, or other communication of any information by a consumer reporting agency bearing on a consumer's credit worthiness, credit standing, credit capacity, character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living that is used or expected to be used or collected in whole or in part for the purpose of serving as a factor in establishing the consumer's eligibility for:
(i) credit or insurance to be used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes;
(ii) employment purposes; or
(iii) other purposes authorized under 31-3-111.
(b) The term does not include:
(i) any report containing information solely as to transactions or experiences between the consumer and the person making the report;
(ii) any authorization or approval of a specific extension of credit, directly or indirectly, by the issuer of a credit card or similar device; or
(iii) any report in which a person who has been requested by a third party to make a specific extension of credit, directly or indirectly, to a consumer conveys the consumer's decision with respect to the request if the third party advises the consumer of the name and address of the person to whom the request was made and that person makes the disclosures to the consumer required under 31-3-131.
(4) The term "consumer reporting agency" means any person that, for monetary fees, dues, or on a cooperative nonprofit basis, regularly engages in whole or in part in the practice of assembling or evaluating consumer credit information or other information on consumers for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports to third parties.
(5) The term "employment purposes", when used in connection with a consumer report, means a report used for the purpose of evaluating a consumer for employment, promotion, reassignment, or retention as an employee.
(6) The term "file", when used in connection with information on any consumer, means all of the information on that consumer recorded and retained by a consumer reporting agency regardless of how the information is stored.
(7) The term "investigative consumer report" means a consumer report or portion of a consumer report in which information on a consumer's character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living is obtained through personal interviews with neighbors, friends, or associates of the consumer reported on or with others with whom the consumer is acquainted or who may have knowledge concerning any items of information. However, the information may not include specific factual information on a consumer's credit record obtained directly from a creditor of the consumer or from a consumer reporting agency when the information was obtained directly from a creditor of the consumer or from the consumer.
(8) The term "medical information" means information or records obtained, with the consent of the individual to whom it relates, from licensed physicians or medical practitioners, hospitals, clinics, or other medical or medically related facilities.
(9) The term "person" means any individual, partnership, corporation, trust, estate, cooperative, association, government or governmental subdivision or agency, or other entity.