32-1-372. Branch bank. (1) A bank may establish and maintain branch banks, as provided in 32-1-371 and this section. The formation and operation of a branch bank in this state by a bank organized under the laws of this state require the prior approval of the department. A bank organized under the laws of this state may establish, acquire, or operate a branch bank or other office outside this state if approved by the department and if permitted by the laws of the jurisdiction where the branch bank or office is to be located.
(2) A branch bank may but is not required to offer all services and conduct all business authorized to be offered or conducted by the bank.
(3) A bank authorized to do banking business in this state may use a satellite terminal, as defined in 32-6-103, at any location permitted by the Montana Electronic Funds Transfer Act.
(4) A bank may continue to maintain and operate all branch banks and other banking offices in existence or authorized on July 1, 1997, without further consent, authorization, or approval of the department. All offices established and maintained by a bank, other than the main banking house, at which deposits are received, checks are paid, or money is lent must be considered branch banks for all purposes under this title.
(5) A bank located in this state may provide services for other banks located in this state, whether or not those banks are affiliates.
(6) With the prior approval of the appropriate federal regulator and state chartering authority, a bank that is not organized under the laws of this state may establish and operate a de novo branch in this state under the same terms that would apply to a bank organized under the laws of this state seeking approval from the department to establish and operate a de novo branch in this state.
(7) A bank that is not organized under the laws of this state that applies to the appropriate federal regulator and state chartering authority under subsection (6) to establish and operate a de novo interstate branch in Montana shall simultaneously file a copy of the application with the department for notification purposes.
(8) A bank shall notify the department and its customers of any branch bank closure or relocation.
(9) The department may adopt rules to implement this section.