32-9-118. Continuing education requirements for mortgage loan originators. (1) All mortgage loan originators shall complete and submit to the NMLS evidence of at least 8 hours of continuing education every year at the time they submit their license renewal applications. The 8 hours of continuing education must be obtained in approved education courses.
(2) The 8 hours of education must include at least:
(a) 3 hours of training on federal laws and regulations;
(b) 2 hours of training in ethics, including instruction on fraud prevention, consumer protection, and fair lending issues; and
(c) 2 hours of training related to lending standards for the nontraditional mortgage product marketplace.
(3) A person who has successfully completed the education requirements that comply with the requirements of subsections (1) and (2) and that are approved by the NMLS for any other state must be given credit toward completion of continuing education requirements in Montana.
(4) Except as provided in subsection (6), a licensed mortgage loan originator may receive credit for a continuing education course only in the year in which the course is taken and may not take the same approved course in the same or successive years to meet the annual requirements for continuing education.
(5) A licensed mortgage loan originator who is an approved instructor of an approved continuing education course may receive credit for the licensed mortgage loan originator's own annual continuing education requirement at the rate of 2 hours credit for every 1 hour taught.
(6) A licensed mortgage loan originator who subsequently becomes unlicensed shall complete the continuing education requirements for the last year in which the license was held prior to issuance of a new or renewed license. The continuing education requirements of this subsection are not subject to the provision of subsection (4) that credit may be given only in the year a course is taken. (See part compiler's comment regarding contingent suspension.)