33-1-311. General powers and duties. (1) The commissioner shall enforce the applicable provisions of the laws of this state and shall execute the duties imposed on the commissioner by the laws of this state.
(2) The commissioner has the powers and authority expressly conferred upon the commissioner by or reasonably implied from the provisions of the laws of this state.
(3) Except as otherwise provided in 33-39-101, the commissioner shall administer the department to ensure that the interests of insurance consumers are protected.
(4) The commissioner may conduct examinations and investigations of insurance matters, in addition to examinations and investigations expressly authorized, as the commissioner considers proper, to determine whether any person has violated any provision of the laws of this state or to secure information useful in the lawful administration of any provision. The cost of additional examinations and investigations must be borne by the state.
(5) The commissioner shall maintain as confidential any information or document received from:
(a) the national association of insurance commissioners; or
(b) another state agency, an insurance department from another state, a federal agency, the interstate insurance product regulation commission, or a foreign government that treats the same information or document as confidential. The commissioner may provide information or documents, including information or documents that are confidential, to another state agency, the national association of insurance commissioners, a state or federal law enforcement agency, a federal agency, the interstate insurance product regulation commission, a foreign government, or an insurance department in another state if the recipient agrees to maintain the confidentiality of the information or documents.
(6) The department is a criminal justice agency as defined in 44-5-103.