33-12-104. Authorization of investments by board of directors. (1) An insurer's board of directors shall adopt a written plan for acquiring and holding investments and for engaging in investment practices that specifies guidelines as to the quality, maturity, and diversification of investments and that contains other specifications including investment strategies intended to ensure that the investments and investment practices are appropriate for the business conducted by the insurer, its liquidity needs, and its capital and surplus.
(2) The board of directors is ultimately responsible for investment decisions and shall review, at least annually, whether all investments acquired and held under this chapter have been made in accordance with delegations, standards, limitations, and investment objectives prescribed by the board or a committee of the board charged with the responsibility to direct its investments.
(3) An insurer's board of directors or committee of the board of directors shall:
(a) on no less than a quarterly basis and more often if considered appropriate, receive and review a summary report on the insurer's investment portfolio, its investment activities, and investment practices engaged in under delegated authority, in order to determine whether the investment activity of the insurer is consistent with its written plan; and
(b) on no less than an annual basis and more often if considered appropriate, review and revise, as appropriate, the written plan.
(4) In discharging its duties under this section, the board of directors may require that records of any authorizations or approvals, other documentation as the board may require, and reports of any action taken under authority delegated under the plan referred to in subsection (1) may be made available on a regular basis to the board of directors.
(5) If an insurer does not have a board of directors, all references to the board of directors in this chapter are considered to be references to the governing body of the insurer having authority equivalent to that of a board of directors.
(6) In discharging their duties under this section, the directors of an insurer shall perform their duties as provided in 35-14-830.