33-22-142. Certification of creditable coverage. (1) (a) A group health plan and a health insurance issuer offering group or individual health insurance coverage shall issue the certification described in subsection (3) within 10 days after a request by an individual who ceases to be covered under the group or individual health plan.
(b) A request for the certification may be made no later than 24 months after the date of termination of coverage.
(2) The certification may be provided, to the extent practicable, at a time consistent with notices required under any applicable COBRA continuation provision.
(3) Certification is the written:
(a) certification of the period of creditable coverage of the individual under a group or individual health plan and the coverage under any applicable COBRA continuation provision;
(b) certification of the waiting period, if any, and affiliation period, as defined in 33-31-102, if applicable, imposed with respect to the individual for any coverage under a group health plan;
(c) certification of the date of issuance of the certificate specified on the form; and
(d) notification to the individual of:
(i) the individual's conversion rights;
(ii) the availability of COBRA continuation coverage; and
(iii) other notification as determined necessary and in the form prescribed by rule by the commissioner.
(4) To the extent that medical care under a group health plan consists of group health insurance coverage, a group health plan satisfies the certification requirement of this section if the health insurance issuer offering the coverage provides the certification in accordance with this section.
(5) In the case of an election described in 33-22-141 by a group health plan or health insurance issuer, if the group health plan or health insurance issuer enrolls an individual for coverage under the group health plan and the individual provides a certification of coverage of the individual, the entity that issued the certification shall upon request of the group health plan or health insurance issuer promptly disclose information on coverage of classes and categories of health benefits available under the certified coverage. The entity may charge the requesting group health plan or health insurance issuer the reasonable cost of disclosing the information.
(6) At the time that an individual ceases to be covered by a group or individual health plan, the group health plan or health insurance issuer shall notify the individual that the individual may request the certification described in subsection (3) within the timeframes described in subsection (1).