33-22-903. Definitions. As used in this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Applicant" means:
(a) in the case of an individual medicare supplement policy, the person who seeks to contract for insurance benefits; and
(b) in the case of a group medicare supplement policy, the proposed certificate holder.
(2) "Certificate" means a certificate delivered or issued for delivery in this state under a group medicare supplement policy.
(3) "Certificate form" means the form on which the certificate is delivered or issued for delivery by the issuer.
(5) "Health care expenses":
(a) means expenses of a health maintenance organization associated with the delivery of health care services that are analogous to incurred losses of an insurer;
(b) does not include home office and overhead costs, advertising costs, commissions and other acquisition costs, taxes, capital costs, administrative costs, or claims processing costs.
(6) "Issuer" includes insurance companies, fraternal benefit societies, health care service plans, health maintenance organizations, and any entity delivering or issuing for delivery in this state medicare supplement policies or certificates.
(7) "Medicare" means Health Insurance for the Aged, Title XVIII of the Social Security Amendments of 1965, as then constituted or later amended.
(8) "Medicare supplement policy" means a group or individual policy of disability insurance or a subscriber contract of a health service corporation, other than a policy issued pursuant to a contract under 42 U.S.C. 1395ss(g)(1), or a policy issued under a demonstration project authorized pursuant to amendments to the federal Social Security Act, that is advertised, marketed, or designed primarily as a supplement to reimbursements under medicare for the hospital, medical, or surgical expenses of persons eligible for medicare. The term does not include:
(a) a policy or contract of one or more employers or labor organizations or of the trustees of a fund established by one or more employers or labor organizations, or a combination of employers, organizations, and trustees, for employees or former employees, or a combination of current and former employees, or for members or former members, or a combination of current and former members, of the labor organizations; or
(b) individual policies or contracts issued pursuant to a conversion privilege under a policy or contract of group or individual insurance when the group or individual policy or contract includes provisions that are inconsistent with the requirements of this part or policies issued to employees or members as additions to franchise plans in existence on April 8, 1981.
(9) "Policy form" means the form on which the policy is delivered or issued for delivery by the issuer.