33-35-202. Eligibility for certificate of authority. The commissioner may not issue a certificate of authority to a self-funded multiple employer welfare arrangement unless the arrangement establishes to the reasonable satisfaction of the commissioner that the following requirements have been satisfied by the arrangement:
(1) the employers participating in the self-funded multiple employer welfare arrangement are either engaged in the same trade, profession, or industry or the employers participating in the arrangement are members of a bona fide association;
(2) the employers participating in the arrangement exercise control over the arrangement, as follows:
(a) Subject to subsection (2)(b), control exists if the employers participating in the arrangement have the right to elect at least 75% of the individuals designated in the arrangement's organizational documents as having control over the operations of the arrangement and the individuals designated in the arrangement's organizational documents in fact exercise control over the operation of the arrangement.
(b) The use of a third-party administrator to process claims and to assist in the administration of the arrangement is not evidence of the lack of exercise of control over the operation of the arrangement.
(3) the arrangement provides only allowable benefits. However, an arrangement may provide life insurance coverage to its participants if the coverage is provided pursuant to contracts of insurance that comply with Title 33, chapter 20, parts 10 through 12.
(4) the arrangement provides allowable benefits to not less than 2 employers and not less than 75 employees;
(5) the arrangement may not solicit participation in the arrangement from the general public. However, the arrangement may employ or independently contract with a licensed insurance producer who may be paid a commission or other remuneration to enroll employers in the arrangement, and employees of the arrangement, employees of the association sponsoring the arrangement, or employees of affiliates of the association, other than licensed insurance producers, may enroll employers in the arrangement if the employees do not receive a commission or other remuneration in addition to their customary compensation for enrolling employers.
(6) the arrangement is not organized or maintained solely as a conduit for the collection of premiums and the forwarding of premiums to an insurance company. However, it is permissible for a self-funded multiple employer welfare arrangement to act as a conduit for the collection and forwarding of premiums for life insurance coverage pursuant to subsection (3).