37-37-102. Definitions. As used in this chapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Board" means the board of behavioral health established in 2-15-1744.
(2) "Department" means the department of labor and industry.
(3) "Licensee" means a person licensed under this chapter.
(4) "Marriage and family therapist licensure candidate" means a person who is registered pursuant to 37-37-205 to engage in marriage and family therapy and earn supervised work experience necessary for licensure.
(5) (a) "Marriage and family therapy" means the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders within the context of interpersonal relationships, including marriage and family systems. Marriage and family therapy involves the professional application of psychotherapeutic and family system theories and techniques, counseling, consultation, treatment planning, and supervision in the delivery of services to individuals, couples, and families.
(b) The term includes the performance of psychological testing, evaluation, and assessment if the licensee is qualified to administer testing and make evaluations and assessments pursuant to 37-17-104.
(6) "Practice of marriage and family therapy" means the provision of professional marriage and family therapy services to individuals, couples, and families, singly or in groups, for a fee, monetary or otherwise, either directly or through public or private organizations.
(7) "Qualified supervisor" means a supervisor determined by the board to meet standards established by the board for supervision of clinical services.
(8) "Recognized educational institution" means:
(a) an educational institution that grants a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree and that is recognized by the board and by a regional accrediting body; or
(b) a postgraduate training institute accredited by the commission on accreditation for marriage and family therapy education.