37-42-308. Annual renewal -- fees -- revocation for failure to renew -- reinstatement -- notice of suspension. (1) Certificates issued under this chapter must be renewed annually before July 1. A certificate issued after July 1 expires the following June 30. After the payment of the initial fee under 37-42-304, a certificate holder shall pay before July 1 of each certificate year a renewal fee according to the schedule adopted by the department, except that the department shall reduce the fee by the amount that the cost of administering the certificate is offset by federal funds received to fund the administration of the program.
(2) Subject to subsection (6), if a certificate holder does not apply for a renewal of the certificate before July 1 and remit to the department the necessary renewal fee, the department shall suspend the certificate. Subject to subsection (6), the department shall revoke any certificate that remains suspended for a period of more than 30 days. However, the department, before this revocation, shall notify the certificate holder by certified mail at the address on the issued certificate of the department's intention to revoke, at least 10 days before the time set for action to be taken by the department on the certificate.
(3) A certificate once revoked may not be reinstated unless it appears that an injustice has occurred through error or omission or other fact or circumstances indicating to the department that the certificate holder was not guilty of negligence or laches.
(4) Notice of suspension must be given to the certificate holder when the suspension occurs and to the proper official or owner of the treatment works or distribution system.
(5) If a person whose certificate has been revoked through the person's own fault desires to continue as a water or wastewater plant operator, the person shall apply to the department under 37-42-304. Successful completion of an examination may be required at the discretion of the department.
(6) This section may not be interpreted to conflict with the provisions of 37-1-138.