Montana Code Annotated 2023



Part 11. Employer Contributions

Refunds To Employers

39-51-1110. Refunds to employers. (1) (a) If an employer claims an adjustment or the department determines through an examination of the employer's account that the employer has overpaid the amount due, the amount of the overpayment must be applied to future unemployment insurance obligations or must be refunded to the employer. The credit or refund may be allowed only if the claim is filed, or the determination is made, within a 5-year period after the date on which any taxes, penalty, or interest became due or within 1 year from the date the payment is made, whichever is later. The department shall credit or refund the amount to the employer, without interest.

(b) The department may not adjust wages that have been used for the purpose of establishing benefit eligibility after the statute of limitations provided in 39-51-2402 has expired, and a credit or refund may not be made with respect to those wages.

(2) If the department determines that an employer has paid taxes to this state under this chapter but the taxes should have been paid to another state under a similar act of the other state, a transfer of the taxes to the other state must be made upon discovery or, upon proof of payment that the other state has been fully paid, then a refund to the employer must be made upon application without limitation of time.

(3) If this chapter is not certified by the secretary of labor under 26 U.S.C. 3304 for any year, then refunds must be made of all taxes required under this chapter from employers for that year.

History: En. Subd. (d), Sec. 14, Ch. 137, L. 1937; amd. Sec. 5, Ch. 137, L. 1939; amd. Sec. 8, Ch. 164, L. 1941; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 233, L. 1943; amd. Sec. 6, Ch. 164, L. 1955; amd. Sec. 10, Ch. 171, L. 1957; amd. Sec. 26, Ch. 368, L. 1975; R.C.M. 1947, 87-138; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 349, L. 1981; amd. Sec. 11, Ch. 373, L. 1991; amd. Sec. 171, Ch. 42, L. 1997; amd. Sec. 23, Ch. 491, L. 1997; amd. Sec. 6, Ch. 466, L. 2005; amd. Sec. 5, Ch. 132, L. 2015.