39-51-2208. Deduction and withholding of unemployment benefits to repay overissuance of food stamps -- definitions. (1) For the purposes of this section, the following definitions apply:
(a) "State food stamp agency" means any agency of a state or a political subdivision of a state that is responsible for enforcing the repayment of an obligation for overissuance of food stamp benefits.
(b) "Unemployment benefits" means benefits payable under the Montana unemployment insurance law, including amounts payable by the department pursuant to an agreement under any federal law that provides for benefits, assistance, or allowances with respect to unemployment.
(2) An individual filing a new claim for unemployment benefits shall disclose at the time of filing the claim whether or not the individual owes for an uncollected overissuance of food stamp benefits as defined in section 13(c)(1) of the Food Stamp Act of 1977, 7 U.S.C. 2022(c)(1). If an individual discloses that the individual has an uncollected obligation for overissuance of food stamp benefits and if the department finds that the individual is eligible for unemployment benefits, the department shall notify the state food stamp agency that the individual is eligible for unemployment benefits.
(3) Except as provided in subsection (7), the department shall deduct and withhold from any unemployment benefits payable to an individual who has an obligation for an uncollected overissuance of food stamp benefits:
(a) the amount specified by the individual to the department to be deducted and withheld, in which case subsections (3)(b) and (3)(c) are not applicable;
(b) the amount, if any, determined by a state food stamp agency for enforcing obligations for overissuance of food stamp benefits, pursuant to an agreement submitted to the department under section 13(c)(3)(A) of the Food Stamp Act of 1977, 7 U.S.C. 2022(c)(3)(A), unless subsection (3)(c) is applicable; or
(c) any amount otherwise required to be deducted and withheld from unemployment benefits pursuant to section 13(c)(3)(B) of the Food Stamp Act of 1977, 7 U.S.C. 2022 (c)(3)(B).
(4) The department shall pay any amount deducted and withheld under subsection (3) to the appropriate state food stamp agency responsible for enforcing an obligation for overissuance of food stamp benefits.
(5) Deductions may be made pursuant to this section only if appropriate arrangements have been made for reimbursement by the state food stamp agency for the administrative costs incurred by the department under this section.
(6) Any amount deducted and withheld under subsection (3) must be treated as if it were paid to the individual as unemployment benefits and then paid by the individual to the state food stamp agency in satisfaction of the individual's uncollected overissuance of food stamp benefits.
(7) The department may not deduct or withhold unemployment benefits in a case involving overissuance of food stamps that meets the provisions of 53-2-108(2).