40-5-402. Purpose -- applicability. (1) The purpose of this part is to provide a more effective and efficient way to guarantee the support of dependent children by the person or persons primarily responsible for such support by ensuring that the support of children is the highest priority in the allocation of a responsible parent's income.
(2) This part applies to all support obligations being enforced or collected by the department of public health and human services pursuant to Title IV-D of the Social Security Act.
(3) When the requirements of this part are met, an employer or other payor of income to a person having a support obligation under a court or administrative order must be directed to withhold from the person's income in an amount sufficient to meet the support obligation and to defray any arrearages that are due or may become due.
(4) Unless an exception under 40-5-411(4) is contained in a support order, withholding of income is required under this part without need for any amendment to the support order involved or any action by the court or entity that issued the support order even though the support order did not address withholding or the support order provided for other payment arrangements.
(5) Withholding, once commenced, applies to all current and subsequent payors of income to a person obligated to pay support until the withholding is terminated as provided by this part.
(6) The provisions for income withholding under this part take precedence over any other law or court order.