44-3-211. Duties of state medical examiner. The duties of the state medical examiner include but are not limited to the following:
(1) providing assistance and consultation to associate medical examiners, coroners, and law enforcement officers;
(2) providing court testimony when necessary to accomplish the purposes of this chapter;
(3) stimulating and directing research in the field of forensic pathology;
(4) maintaining an ongoing educational and training program for associate medical examiners, coroners, and law enforcement officers;
(5) appointing associate medical examiners; and
(6) performing autopsies as requested.