50-57-102. Definitions. Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, in this chapter the following definitions apply:
(1) "Consumer" means a person who:
(a) is a member of the public;
(b) takes possession of food;
(c) is not functioning in the capacity of an operator of an establishment; and
(d) does not offer the food for resale.
(2) "Department" means the department of public health and human services provided for in 2-15-2201.
(3) "Dietary supplement" means a product, other than a tobacco product, that is intended to supplement the diet and:
(a) is advertised only as a food supplement; and
(b) bears or contains one or more of the following ingredients:
(i) a vitamin;
(ii) a mineral;
(iii) an herb or other botanical substance;
(iv) an amino acid; or
(v) a dietary substance used to supplement the diet by increasing the total dietary intake or a concentrate, metabolite, constituent, extract, or a combination of any ingredients described in subsections (3)(b)(i) through (3)(b)(iv).
(4) "Establishment" means a wholesale food manufacturing establishment, wholesale food salvage establishment, wholesale food warehouse, wholesale ice manufacturer, or wholesale water bottler.
(5) (a) "Food" means an edible substance, beverage, or ingredient used, intended for use, or for sale for human consumption. The term includes dietary supplements.
(b) The term does not include nonprescription drugs.
(6) "Local board of health" means a county, city, city-county, or district board of health.
(7) "Local health officer" means a county, city, city-county, or district health officer appointed by the local board of health or the health officer's authorized representative.
(8) "Regulatory authority" means the department, the local board of health, the local health officer, or the local sanitarian.
(9) "Retail" means the provision of food directly to the consumer.
(10) "Retail food establishment" has the meaning provided in 50-50-102.
(11) (a) "Wholesale" means the sale or provision of food to a retail food establishment or to another person engaged in retail sales who sells or provides the food directly to the consumer.
(b) The term does not include the sale or provision of food at retail.
(12) (a) "Wholesale food manufacturing establishment" means a facility and the facility's buildings or structures used to manufacture or prepare food for human consumption at wholesale.
(b) The term does not include:
(i) milk producers' facilities, milk pasteurization facilities, or milk product manufacturing plants;
(ii) slaughterhouses, meat packing plants, or meat depots; or
(iii) producers or harvesters of raw and unprocessed farm products.
(13) "Wholesale food salvage establishment" means an entity that is engaged in reconditioning or by other means salvaging distressed food or that sells, buys, or distributes for human consumption any salvaged food. The term includes a salvage broker, a salvage operator, and a salvage warehouse.
(14) (a) "Wholesale food warehouse" means a facility used to store food or cosmetics for distribution to retailers.
(b) The term includes a frozen food plant that is used to freeze, process, or store food, including any facility used in conjunction with the frozen food plant.
(c) The term does not include a wine, beer, or soft drink warehouse that is separate from facilities where brewing or drink manufacturing occurs.
(15) (a) "Wholesale ice manufacturer" means an entity that produces ice for human consumption that is sold at wholesale in packaged form or in bulk form for food, drink, or culinary purposes.
(b) The term does not include:
(i) persons, hotels, restaurants, inns, caterers, food service contractors, or theaters that manufacture or furnish ice solely for their customers in a manner that is incidental to the production, sale, or dispensing of other goods and services; or
(ii) a retail food establishment that manufactures ice in packaged form for onsite retail sales to the consumer.
(16) (a) "Wholesale water bottler" means an entity that is engaged in the production, packaging, manufacturing, or processing of drinking water, culinary bottled water, or water otherwise processed and packaged for human consumption that is sold at wholesale.
(b) The term does not include a facility that produces, packages, manufactures, or processes drinking water, culinary bottled water, or water otherwise processed and packaged for human consumption onsite for retail sale.