53-21-1301. Purpose. The purpose of this part is to:
(1) promote more timely, informed, compassionate, and effective mental health care;
(2) recognize the right of any person who has capacity to give or withhold informed consent for mental health services;
(3) prevent unnecessary delays in receiving care for a mental disorder in times of impending or actual crisis;
(4) allow a person with mental illness to provide the legal authority for provision of health care during a period of incapacity, even over the person's own protest;
(5) reduce the use of costly legal interventions, including emergency detentions, civil commitment, involuntary medication, and guardianship;
(6) minimize the impacts of crisis on people, families, communities, and providers; and
(7) support the relationship between the provider and the patient by promoting thoughtful, constructive, and timely communication.