Montana Code Annotated 2023



Part 2. Certificates of Title

Retitling Salvage Vehicles -- Penalty

61-3-212. Retitling salvage vehicles -- penalty. (1) Prior to operating a salvage vehicle on the roads and highways of this state, the owner shall present the motor vehicle and the salvage certificate, if one has been issued, or the certificate of title, the appropriate receipts or bills of sale establishing ownership, and the source of component parts used to rebuild the motor vehicle to a department employee or designated peace officer for inspection, as provided in 61-3-223. An owner may obtain a temporary registration permit under 61-3-224 for the purpose of moving a salvage vehicle to and from the designated inspection site.

(2) (a) The inspector shall inspect the motor vehicle to verify the identity of the motor vehicle.

(b) The inspector shall verify that the component parts used to rebuild the motor vehicle are evidenced by traceable receipts or bills of sale and that there are no indications that the motor vehicle or any of its parts are stolen. Documentation provided by the owner or employee of a wrecking facility licensed under the provisions of Title 75, chapter 10, part 5, is prima facie evidence of the facts stated in the documentation.

(3) Following inspection and prior to operating the motor vehicle on the roads and highways of this state, the owner shall apply for a new certificate of title by submitting the application, the salvage certificate, receipts or bills of sale, and a copy of the inspection report to the department.

(4) Upon receipt of the application, required documentation, and payment of the fee required in 61-3-203, the department shall issue a new certificate of title with the words "rebuilt salvage" on the face of the certificate of title.

(5) A person failing to comply with the provisions of this part is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined an amount not to exceed $500. The salvage vehicle purchaser shall produce the salvage certificate upon request of a public official legally entitled to request the certificate. A person may not operate or use a salvage vehicle on the roads or highways of this state except when a temporary registration permit has been issued as provided in subsection (1).

History: En. Sec. 4, Ch. 725, L. 1991; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 188, L. 1995; amd. Sec. 59, Ch. 477, L. 2003; amd. Sec. 55, Ch. 542, L. 2005; amd. Sec. 43, Ch. 596, L. 2005.