61-3-529. Schedule of fees for buses, motor vehicles having rated capacity of more than 1 ton, and truck tractors -- proration -- exemption. (1) (a) There is an annual fee in lieu of property tax imposed on buses, trucks having a manufacturer's rated capacity of more than 1 ton, and truck tractors. The fee is in addition to annual registration fees.
(b) The fee imposed by subsection (1)(a) is not required to be paid by a dealer of buses, trucks, or truck tractors that constitute inventory of the dealership.
(2) Subject to the conditions of subsection (4), the owner of a bus, truck with a manufacturer's rated capacity of more than 1 ton, or truck tractor shall pay a fee in lieu of tax based on the age and manufacturer's rated capacity of the motor vehicle according to the following schedule:
|Age of Motor Vehicle||Rated Capacity (in pounds)|
|(in years)||16,999 or less||17,000-26,999||27,000-54,999||55,000 or more|
|1 or less||$117||$167||$284||$375|
|21 or more||10||12||16||20|
(3) The age of the motor vehicle must be determined under 61-3-501.
(4) (a) The manufacturer's rated capacity for a bus or truck with a manufacturer's rated capacity of more than 1 ton is the manufacturer's rated gross vehicle weight.
(b) The manufacturer's rated capacity for a truck tractor is the manufacturer's rated gross combined weight.
(5) Except as provided in 61-3-520, the fee in lieu of tax on a motor vehicle subject to this section that is brought or driven into this state by a nonresident person for hire, compensation, or profit must be prorated as determined and paid under 61-3-701.
(6) The fee in lieu of tax may not be refunded.