61-3-721. Proportional registration of motor fleet vehicles, registration periods, application, fee formula, and payment -- permanent registration of trailer and semitrailer fleets -- transfer of ownership -- transfer of license plates. (1) An owner of one or more fleets may register and license each fleet for operation in this state by filing an application with the department of transportation. The application must contain the information pertinent to motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer registration that is required by the department of transportation. If an electronic record of title has not been created for or a certificate of title issued for an apportionable vehicle in the fleet, the department of transportation, as an authorized agent of the department of justice, may also process the application for certificate of title for the vehicle as provided in 61-3-203 and 61-3-217.
(2) Except as provided in 61-3-318(1) and subsection (6) of this section, each fleet subject to the provisions of 61-3-711 through 61-3-733 must be registered for an annual registration period based upon the date that the fleet is first registered in this state.
(3) There are four annual registration periods, each of which begins on the first day of a calendar quarter. As used in this subsection, "calendar quarter" means the period of 3 consecutive months ending March 31, June 30, September 30, or December 31. The periods are:
|(a) January 1 through March 31||1st period|
|(b) April 1 through June 30||2nd period|
|(c) July 1 through September 30||3rd period|
|(d) October 1 through December 31||4th period|
(4) Registration of a fleet of apportionable motor vehicles under subsection (2) must be renewed on or before the last day of the month for the designated annual registration period unless a different registration period has been authorized pursuant to 61-3-716(2). The department shall provide for simultaneous registration of multiple fleets of apportionable motor vehicles in common ownership.
(5) Except as provided in subsection (6), the application for each fleet may be accompanied by a fee payment computed by:
(b) determining the total amount necessary to register each motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer in the fleet for which registration is requested, based on the regular annual registration fees prescribed by 61-3-321 and chapter 10, part 2, and the property taxes that are due on the fleet;
(c) multiplying the sum obtained under subsection (5)(b) by the fraction obtained under subsection (5)(a).
(6) Upon renewal or new registration, each trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer fleet must be permanently registered and assessed a registration fee of $82.50. Each trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer in the fleet must be issued a permanent license plate and registration decal.
(7) The fee assessed in subsection (6) is a one-time fee except upon transfer of ownership of a trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer.
(8) If the owner of a fleet removes a trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer from the fleet, the owner shall surrender the registration and license plate assigned to the trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer to the department of transportation. The owner may not transfer the license plate and registration decal to a trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer that is added to the fleet.
(9) Applications submitted with fees may be recomputed by the department of transportation. The department of transportation shall furnish a statement showing the overpayment or balance due.
(10) Applications submitted without fees must be computed by the department of transportation. The department of transportation shall furnish a statement showing the amount of fees due.