61-9-109. Driving vehicle in unsafe condition prohibited -- applicability of chapter. (1) It is a misdemeanor for a person to drive or permit to be driven on a highway a vehicle or combination of vehicles that:
(a) is in such unsafe condition as to endanger a person;
(b) is not equipped with lamps and other equipment as required in this chapter; or
(c) is equipped in a manner in violation of this chapter.
(2) It is a misdemeanor for a person to perform an act forbidden or fail to perform an act required under this chapter.
(3) The use of additional parts and accessories on a vehicle not inconsistent with the provisions of this chapter is not prohibited.
(4) The provisions of this chapter do not apply to implements of husbandry, road machinery, road rollers, or farm tractors except as made applicable in this chapter.
(5) All lamps and equipment required by this chapter must be maintained in proper working order and adjustment at all times.
(6) (a) Except as provided in subsection (6)(b) and subject to subsection (6)(c), the provisions of this chapter apply to the operation of a motorcycle or quadricycle only when the motorcycle or quadricycle is being operated on a paved highway. A person operating a motorcycle or quadricycle on an unpaved highway shall operate the motorcycle or quadricycle in a reasonable and prudent manner.
(c) The provisions of this chapter do not apply to the operation and equipping of a quadricycle that is being operated for agricultural purposes on an unpaved highway or on a paved highway that is not an interstate highway as defined in 60-1-103.