69-3-803. Definitions. As used in this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Commercial mobile radio service" means commercial mobile radio service as defined in 47 CFR 20.9.
(2) "Commission" means the public service commission.
(3) "Eligible telecommunications carrier" means a telecommunications provider designated by the commission under 69-3-840.
(4) "Fund" means the universal service fund established in 69-3-842.
(5) "Incumbent local exchange carrier" means, with respect to an area, the local exchange carrier that:
(a) on February 8, 1996, provided telephone exchange service in the area; and
(b) on February 8, 1996, was considered to be a member of the exchange carrier association pursuant to 47 CFR 69.601(b) or is a person or entity that, after that date, became a successor or assign of a member of the exchange carrier association.
(6) "Local telecommunications" means:
(a) telecommunications originating in a wireline local calling area, including extended area service areas, and terminating in the same wireline local calling area or extended area service area; or
(b) commercial mobile radio service that originates from or terminates to a commercial mobile radio service provider within the same major trading area as defined in 47 CFR 24.202(a).
(7) "Nonlocal telecommunications" means:
(a) wireline telecommunications traffic carried by either an interlocal access transport area carrier or an intralocal access transport area toll provider that originates in one wireline local calling area and terminates in another wireline local calling area; or
(b) commercial mobile radio service that originates in a major trading area and terminates in a different major trading area as defined in 47 CFR 24.202(a).
(8) "Originating carrier" means a telecommunications carrier from whose network a customer originates telecommunications traffic.
(9) "Private telecommunications service" means a system, including the construction, maintenance, or operation of the system, for the provision of telecommunications service or any portion of the service, by a person or entity for the sole and exclusive use of that person or entity and not for resale, directly or indirectly. For purposes of this definition, the term "person or entity" includes a corporation and all of its affiliates and subsidiaries if the corporation, affiliates, and subsidiaries have a common ownership or control of 80% of the outstanding voting shares.
(10) (a) "Regulated telecommunications service" means two-way switched, voice-grade access and transport of communications originating and terminating in this state and nonvoice-grade access and transport if intended to be converted to or from voice-grade access and transport.
(b) Except as provided in 69-3-815, the term does not include the provision of terminal equipment used to originate or terminate the regulated service, private telecommunications service, one-way transmission of television signals, cellular communication, or provision of radio paging or mobile radio services.
(11) "Retail revenue" means the gross Montana revenue from telecommunications services that originate or terminate in Montana and are billed for a service address in Montana, excluding revenue from the resale of telecommunications services to another telecommunications services provider that uses the telecommunications services to provide telecommunications services to the ultimate retail consumer who originates or terminates the transmission.
(12) "Rural telephone company" means a local exchange carrier operating entity to the extent that the entity:
(a) provides common carrier service to any local exchange carrier study area that does not include either:
(i) all or any part of an incorporated place of 10,000 inhabitants or more based on the most recently available population statistics of the United States bureau of the census; or
(ii) any territory, incorporated or unincorporated, included in an urbanized area, as defined by the United States bureau of the census as of August 10, 1993;
(b) provides telephone exchange service, including exchange access, to fewer than 50,000 access lines;
(c) provides telephone exchange service to any local exchange carrier study area with fewer than 100,000 access lines; or
(d) has less than 15% of its access lines in communities of more than 50,000 on February 8, 1996.
(13) "Telecommunications" means the transmission, between or among points specified by the user, of information of the user's choosing without a change in the form or content of the information upon receipt.
(14) (a) "Telecommunications carrier" or "carrier" means any provider of telecommunications services. A person providing other products and services in addition to telecommunications services is considered a telecommunications carrier only to the extent that it is engaged in providing telecommunications services.
(b) The term does not mean aggregators of telecommunications services as defined in 47 U.S.C. 226.
(15) "Terminating carrier" means a telecommunications carrier upon whose network telecommunications traffic terminates.
(16) (a) "Transit traffic" means telecommunications traffic that an originating carrier delivers to a transiting carrier or carriers for delivery to a terminating carrier.
(b) The term does not mean traffic carried by interlocal access transport area carriers or providers of intralocal access transport area toll services.
(17) "Transiting carrier" means a telecommunications carrier or carriers that transport transit traffic from an originating carrier to a terminating carrier and that do not originate or terminate telecommunications traffic.