70-24-422. Noncompliance of tenant generally -- landlord's right of termination -- damages -- injunction. (1) Except as provided in this chapter, if there is a noncompliance by the tenant with the rental agreement or a noncompliance with 70-24-321, the landlord may deliver a written notice to the tenant pursuant to 70-24-108 specifying the acts and omissions constituting the noncompliance and that the rental agreement will terminate upon a date specified in the notice not less than the minimum number of days after receipt of the notice provided for in this section. The rental agreement terminates as provided in the notice, subject to the following:
(a) If the noncompliance is remediable by repairs, the payment of damages, or otherwise and the tenant adequately remedies the noncompliance before the date specified in the notice, the rental agreement does not terminate.
(b) If the noncompliance involves an unauthorized pet, the notice period is 3 days.
(c) If the noncompliance involves unauthorized persons residing in the rental unit, the notice period is 3 days.
(d) If the noncompliance is not listed in subsection (1)(b) or (1)(c), the notice period is 14 days.
(e) If substantially the same act or omission that constituted a prior noncompliance of which notice was given recurs within 6 months, the landlord may terminate the rental agreement upon at least 5 days' written notice specifying the noncompliance and the date of the termination of the rental agreement.
(2) If rent is unpaid when due and the tenant fails to pay rent within 3 days after written notice by the landlord of nonpayment and the landlord's intention to terminate the rental agreement if the rent is not paid within that period, the landlord may terminate the rental agreement.
(3) If the tenant destroys, defaces, damages, impairs, or removes any part of the premises in violation of 70-24-321(2), the landlord may terminate the rental agreement upon giving 3 days' written notice specifying the noncompliance under the provisions of 70-24-321(2).
(4) If the tenant creates a reasonable potential that the premises may be damaged or destroyed or that neighboring tenants may be injured in violation of 70-24-321(3), the landlord may terminate the rental agreement upon giving 3 days' written notice specifying the violation and noncompliance under the provisions of 70-24-321(3).
(5) Except as provided in this chapter, the landlord may recover actual damages and obtain injunctive relief for any noncompliance by the tenant with the rental agreement or 70-24-321. Except as provided in subsection (6), if the tenant's noncompliance is purposeful, the landlord may recover treble damages.
(6) Treble damages may not be recovered for the tenant's early termination of the tenancy.
(7) The landlord is not bound by this section in the event that the landlord elects to use the 30-day notice for termination of tenancy as provided in 70-24-441.