75-2-217. Operating permit program -- exemptions -- general requirements -- duration. (1) The department shall provide by rule for the issuance, expiration, modification, amendment, suspension, revocation, and renewal of operating permits as part of an operating permit program to be administered by the department under this chapter. The department shall promulgate rules that are consistent with the operating permit framework and guidelines outlined in Subchapter V of the federal Clean Air Act and implementing regulations.
(2) This section applies to all sources of air pollutants that are subject to the provisions of Subchapter V of the federal Clean Air Act, 42 U.S.C. 7661, et seq.
(3) A person may not violate any requirement of an operating permit issued under 75-2-218 and this section or operate any source required to have a permit under this section without having complied with the requirements of the operating permit program administered by the department pursuant to 75-2-218, 75-2-219, and this section.
(4) The department may by rule provide for the exemption of one or more source categories, in whole or in part, from all or part of the requirements of this section if the department determines that compliance with the requirements of this section is impracticable, infeasible, or unnecessarily burdensome for the sources. The department may premise this determination upon a similar determination by the appropriate federal agency acting pursuant to the federal Clean Air Act, 42 U.S.C. 7401, et seq.
(5) The department may by rule provide for general operating permits covering numerous similar sources.
(6) An operating permit issued by the department under 75-2-218 and this section is effective for a period not to exceed 5 years and may be renewed.
(7) The operating permit program administered by the department pursuant to this section must include the following:
(a) adequate procedures that are streamlined and reasonable for:
(i) expeditiously determining when applications are complete;
(ii) processing applications; and
(iii) expeditiously reviewing permit actions, including application renewals or revisions;
(b) requirements and procedures for submittal of information necessary to determine the location, quantity, and type of emissions;
(c) procedures for public notice and opportunity for comment or public hearing, as appropriate;
(d) procedures for providing notice and an opportunity for comment to contiguous states and federal agencies, as appropriate;
(e) requirements for inspection, monitoring, recordkeeping, compliance certification, and reporting;
(f) deadlines for submitting permit applications and compliance plans that are not later than 12 months after the source becomes subject to the operating permit requirement;
(g) deadlines for submitting permit renewal applications that are not later than 6 months before expiration of the existing operating permit;
(h) requirements for compliance plans that must be submitted with permit and renewal applications, including schedules of compliance and progress reports;
(i) requirements and procedures for periodic certification of source compliance with permit requirements, including the prompt reporting of any deviations from permit requirements;
(j) requirements for submission of any plans, specifications, or other information that the department considers necessary under this section;
(k) conditions and procedures for the transfer of operating permits;
(l) requirements and procedures for suspension, modification, amendment, and revocation of permits by the department for cause, including the modification or amendment of permits before renewal or termination to incorporate applicable limitations or requirements effective after permit issuance;
(m) requirements and procedures for incorporating into permits and permit renewals all applicable emission limitations and other requirements, including enforceable measures necessary to ensure compliance with those limitations and requirements;
(n) requirements and procedures for permit modification and amendment;
(o) procedures for tracking activities conducted under general permits;
(p) requirements and procedures for issuing a single operating permit authorizing emissions from similar operations at multiple temporary locations, which permit may include conditions necessary to ensure compliance with the requirements of this chapter at all authorized locations and a requirement that the owner or operator notify the department in advance of each change in location;
(q) requirements and procedures for allowing changes within a permitted facility without requiring a permit amendment if the changes are not prohibited under this chapter and do not exceed the emissions allowable under the permit; and
(r) other requirements necessary for the department to obtain the authorization to administer an operating permit program under the provisions of Subchapter V of the federal Clean Air Act.