Montana Code Annotated 2021



Part 11. Water Pollution Control State Revolving Fund

Authorization Of Bonds -- Allocation Of Proceeds

75-5-1121. Authorization of bonds -- allocation of proceeds. (1) Upon request of the department of natural resources and conservation, the board of examiners is authorized to issue and sell bonds of the state as authorized by the legislature to provide money for the program. The bonds are general obligations on which the full faith, credit, and taxing powers of the state are pledged for payment of the principal and interest. The bonds must be issued as provided by Title 17, chapter 5, part 8.

(2) (a) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection (2), the proceeds of the bonds are allocated to the state allocation account or the administration account of the revolving fund, as provided in 75-5-1106.

(b) Any accrued interest and bond proceeds to be used to pay interest must be deposited in the debt service account of the revolving fund.

(c) Proceeds of bonds to be used to pay the costs of issuing the bonds must be deposited in a cost of issuance account established outside of the revolving fund by the board of examiners in the resolution or trust indenture authorizing the issuance of the bonds.

(d) Any premium received must be deposited in the state allocation account, the debt service account, or the cost of issuance account as directed by the board of examiners in the resolution or trust indenture regarding the bonds.

(e) For purposes of 17-5-803 and 17-5-804, the state allocation account and the cost of issuance account constitute a capital projects account. The proceeds must be available to the department and the department of natural resources and conservation and may be used for the purposes authorized in this part without further budgetary authorization.

(3) In the resolution authorizing the sale and issuance of the bonds, the board of examiners, upon the request of the department of natural resources and conservation, may create separate accounts or subaccounts to provide for the payment security of the bonds and may pledge the interest component of the loan repayments credited to the revolving fund and the revolving fund as security for the bonds.

(4) The board of examiners may allow bonds issued under this section to be secured by a trust indenture between the board of examiners and a trustee. The trustee may be a trust company or bank having the powers of a trustee inside or outside the state.

(a) If the board of examiners elects to issue bonds pursuant to a trust indenture, the trustee may, as determined by the board of examiners, hold one or more of the funds and accounts created pursuant to this chapter.

(b) In addition to provisions that the board of examiners determines to be necessary and appropriate to secure the bonds, provide for the rights of the bondholders, and ensure compliance with all applicable law, the trust indenture must contain provisions that:

(i) govern the custody, safeguarding, and disbursement of all money held by the trustee under the trust indenture; and

(ii) permit representatives of the state treasurer, department, or department of natural resources and conservation, upon reasonable notice and at reasonable times, to inspect the trustee's books and records concerning the trust indenture.

(c) A trust indenture or an executed counterpart of a trust indenture developed pursuant to this chapter must be filed with the secretary of state.

History: En. Sec. 11, Ch. 678, L. 1989; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 788, L. 1991; amd. Sec. 20, Ch. 553, L. 1995; amd. Sec. 12, Ch. 538, L. 1997; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 421, L. 1999; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 74, L. 2015; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 29, L. 2021.