81-20-101. Poultry industry -- powers and authority of department. For the promotion and protection of the poultry industry and to prevent, control, and exterminate infectious, contagious, dangerous, and destructive diseases affecting poultry, the department shall:
(1) supervise the sanitary condition of poultry in this state, under the provisions of the constitution and statutes of this state and the rules adopted by the department. The department may quarantine any lot, yard, land, building, room, premises, enclosure, or other place or section in this state which is or may be used or occupied by poultry and which, in the judgment of the department, is infected or contaminated with an infectious, contagious, communicable, or dangerous disease or disease-carrying medium by which the disease may be communicated. The department may quarantine any poultry in this state when the poultry is affected with or has been exposed to disease or disease-carrying medium. The department may prescribe treatments and enforce sanitary rules which are necessary and proper to circumscribe, extirpate, control, or prevent the diseases.
(2) foster, promote, and protect the poultry industry in this state by the investigation of diseases and other subjects related to ways and means of preventing, controlling, and exterminating diseases of poultry;
(3) adopt and enforce rules for the prevention and extermination of such diseases and perform all other acts and things as may be necessary or proper in the fostering, promotion, or protection of the poultry industry in this state;
(4) adopt and enforce rules and orders necessary or proper to prevent the introduction or spreading of infectious, contagious, communicable, or dangerous diseases affecting poultry in this state, including rules and orders necessary or proper governing inspections and tests of all poultry intended for importation into this state, before it may be imported into this state;
(5) adopt and enforce rules and orders necessary or proper for the inspection, testing, and quarantine of all poultry imported into this state.