82-11-117. Confidentiality of records. (1) Except as provided in subsection (4), any information that is furnished to the board or the board's staff or that is obtained by either of them is a matter of public record and open to public use. Except as provided in subsection (4), information unique to the owner or operator that would, if disclosed, reveal methods or processes entitled to protection as trade secrets must be maintained as confidential if so determined by the board.
(2) If an owner, operator, or service company disagrees with a determination by the board in accordance with this section or by the administrator in accordance with Title 82, chapter 10, part 6, that certain material will not be maintained as confidential, the owner, operator, or service company may file a declaratory judgment action in a court of competent jurisdiction to establish the existence of a trade secret if the owner, operator, or service company wishes the information to enjoy confidential status. The board must be served in the action and may intervene as a party. Information submitted to the board or administrator by an owner, operator, or service company and contested in accordance with this subsection may only be publicly disclosed after a determination is made by a court of competent jurisdiction.
(3) Any information not intended to be public when submitted to the board or the board's staff must be submitted in writing and clearly marked as confidential.
(4) Information submitted in accordance with 82-10-603 must be treated in accordance with Title 82, chapter 10, part 6.
(5) Data describing physical and chemical characteristics of a liquid, gaseous, solid, or other substance injected or discharged into state waters under this chapter or Title 82, chapter 10, part 6, may not be considered confidential.
(6) The board may use any information in compiling or publishing analyses or summaries relating to water pollution if the analyses or summaries do not identify the owner or operator or reveal any information that is otherwise made confidential by this section.