85-1-102. Definitions. Unless the context requires otherwise, in this chapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Administrative costs" means costs incurred by the department:
(a) for the purpose of protecting the department's properties and assets;
(b) to oversee the operation and maintenance of the projects;
(c) to administer contracts and receivables;
(d) to maintain project financial records;
(e) to provide technical assistance for operating, maintaining, and rehabilitating the projects; and
(f) to assist in securing funds for operating, maintaining, and rehabilitating the projects.
(2) "Cost of operation and maintenance" means the costs of operation, maintenance, and routine repairs and the costs incurred by the water users' association or the department in the distribution of water from the project, excluding the department's administrative costs.
(3) "Cost of works" means:
(a) the cost of construction, including any rehabilitation or alteration of the project;
(b) the cost of all lands, property, rights, easements, and franchises acquired that are considered necessary for the construction;
(c) the cost of all water rights acquired or exercised by the department in connection with the works;
(d) the cost of all machinery and equipment, financing charges, and interest prior to and during construction and for a period not exceeding 3 years after the completion of construction;
(e) the cost of engineering and legal services, plans, specifications, surveys, estimates of cost, and other expenses necessary or incident to determining the feasibility or practicability of any project;
(f) administrative expense; and
(g) other expenses that are necessary or incident to the financing authorized in this part and the construction of the works and the placing of the works in operation.
(4) "Department" means the department of natural resources and conservation provided for in Title 2, chapter 15, part 33.
(5) "Owner" means all individuals, irrigation districts, drainage districts, flood control districts, incorporated companies, societies, or associations that have any title or interest in any properties, rights, easements, or franchises to be acquired.
(6) (a) "Private person" means any individual, association, partnership, corporation, or other nongovernmental entity that is not eligible for loans and grants under 85-1-605.
(b) The term does not include a governmental entity, such as an agency, local government, or political subdivision of the state, the United States, or any agency of the United States, or any other governmental entity.
(7) "Project" means any one of the works defined in this section or any combination of works that are physically connected or jointly managed and operated as a single unit.
(8) "Public benefits" means those benefits that accrue from a water development project or activity to persons other than the private grant or loan recipient and that enhance the common well-being of the people of Montana. Public benefits include but are not limited to recreation, flood control, erosion reduction, agricultural flood damage reduction, water quality enhancement, sediment reduction, access to recreation opportunities, and wildlife conservation.
(10) "Renewable resource loan proceeds account" means a separate account created by 85-1-617 within the state special revenue fund of the state treasury to:
(a) finance loans under the provisions of the renewable resource grant and loan program to agencies, local governments, and political subdivisions of the state, to private persons, and to any other eligible recipients; and
(b) purchase liens and operate property, as provided in 85-1-615, from proceeds of bonds issued under part 6 of this chapter.
(11) "Tribal government" means the officially recognized government of an Indian tribe, nation, or other organized group or community that is located in Montana, that exercises self-government powers, and that is recognized as eligible for those services that are provided by the United States to Indians because of their status as Indians.
(12) "Water development activity" means an action or program to protect and enhance water-based recreation or to protect or enhance water resources for the benefit of agriculture, flood control, or other uses, including but not limited to the promotion of efficient use of water in agriculture, the improvement of water quality in agriculture and other nonpoint source uses, the protection and enhancement of water-based recreation, the control of erosion of streambanks and control of sedimentation in rivers and streams, and the provision of greater local and state control of Montana's water resources. Water development activities may provide any combination of marketable and nonmarketable benefits.
(13) "Water development project" means a project as defined in subsection (7), except that water development projects:
(a) are not limited to projects owned or operated by the department; and
(b) for purposes of the renewable resource grant and loan program, must include water development activities.
(14) (a) "Works" means all property and rights, easements, and franchises relating to property and considered necessary or convenient for the operation of the works and all water rights acquired or exercised by the department in connection with those works.
(b) The term includes:
(i) all means of conserving and distributing water, including but not limited to reservoirs, dams, diversion canals, distributing canals, waste canals, drainage canals, dikes, lateral ditches and pumping units, mains, pipelines, and waterworks systems; and
(ii) all works for the conservation, development, storage, distribution, and utilization of water, including but not limited to works for the purpose of irrigation, flood prevention, drainage, fish and wildlife, recreation, development of power, watering of stock, and supplying water for public, domestic, industrial, or other uses and for fire protection.