Montana Code Annotated 2023



Part 3. Appropriations, Permits, and Certificates of Water Rights

Hydrogeologic Report -- Minimum Requirements

85-2-361. Hydrogeologic report -- minimum requirements. (1) A hydrogeologic report must include:

(a) a description of the proposed appropriation, including the point of diversion, the place of use, the area affected by the proposed appropriation, and aquifers and surface waters that may be affected by the proposed appropriation right;

(b) the amount of water diverted and the amount of water consumed by the proposed appropriation right;

(c) the amount of water that will likely be lost in conveyance, the amount of conveyance losses that would return to the system, and the location where conveyance losses would return to the system;

(d) the amount, timing, and location of return flows from the proposed use;

(e) the geology of the affected area, including stratigraphy and structure;

(f) the parameters of the aquifer system within the affected area to include estimates for:

(i) the lateral and vertical extent of the aquifer;

(ii) an analysis of whether the aquifer is confined or unconfined; and

(iii) the transmissivity and storage coefficient related to the aquifer;

(g) the locations of surface waters within the affected area that are subject to an appropriation right that may show a net depletion;

(h) an analysis of whether there may be a net depletion of surface water in the affected area and the rate, location, and timing of the depletion, if any; and

(i) a description of any water treatment method used at the time of any type of injection or introduction of water to the aquifer to ensure compliance with 75-5-410, 85-2-364, and the water quality laws under Title 75, chapter 5.

(2) A hydrogeologic report must be prepared by a hydrogeologist, a qualified scientist, or a qualified licensed professional engineer.

(3) The hydrogeologic report, the test well data, the monitoring well data, and other related information must be submitted to the department. The department shall submit this information to the bureau of mines and geology. The bureau of mines and geology shall make the information available through the ground water information center database.

History: En. Sec. 15, Ch. 391, L. 2007; amd. Sec. 8, Ch. 335, L. 2013.