87-1-257. River restoration program. (1) The department shall administer a river restoration program.
(2) The program may consist of physical projects to improve rivers and their associated lands in order to conserve and enhance fish and wildlife habitat, including but not limited to a change in appropriation right or leasing of water rights under 85-2-436.
(3) The department shall work cooperatively with individuals, conservation districts, and state, local, private, tribal, and federal organizations to achieve the goals of the program and may contract with private organizations to implement specific river restoration projects.
(4) The department shall present projects to the local conservation district for review and recommendations and obtain any applicable permits.
(5) The department shall receive the consent of the landowner or lessee of any associated lands before initiating physical projects on these lands.
(6) A project conducted under the program may not restrict or interfere with the exercise of any water right.