87-2-127. (Effective March 1, 2022) Trapper education required. (1) (a) Except as provided in subsection (2), a Class C trapper's license may not be issued to a resident unless the license agent processing the application determines proof of:
(i) the applicant's purchase of a trapper's license in three prior trapping seasons; or
(ii) completion of a trapper education course established pursuant to this section or otherwise approved by the trapper education committee.
(b) Neither the department nor a license agent is required to provide records of past Montana trapper's license purchases prior to 1990 or for trapping licenses purchased in another state.
(2) A resident is not required to complete a trapper education course if the resident:
(a) is trapping for the purposes of livestock or property protection; or
(b) completes the advanced level of the youth trapper camp offered by the Montana trappers association.
(3) The department shall provide a trapper education course that includes field instruction and classroom or online instruction and incorporates the trapper education manual from the Montana trappers association in the course resources. The course must:
(a) include but is not limited to instruction in trapping ethics, best practices, equipment, regulations, and avoidance of nontarget species;
(b) meet the requirements of rule or law for certification to trap wolves; and
(c) be reviewed and, as needed, revised by the trapper education committee established in subsection (6).
(4) To successfully complete a trapper education course, a person must pass a final exam. Upon successful completion, the department shall issue that person a certificate of completion.
(5) To be certified to teach a trapper education course established pursuant to this section, an instructor shall:
(a) pass a background check conducted by the department; and
(b) be deemed competent by the trapper education committee established in subsection (6) to give instruction in ethical and humane trapping methods.
(6) The department shall establish a trapper education committee consisting of three active, certified trapper instructors, two of whom are members of the Montana trappers association, and three department staff knowledgeable in trapping. The committee shall review and revise trapper education course content and certify new trapper education instructors.
(7) As part of the department's trapper licensing procedures, the department shall notify the public of the requirements of this section.