15-30-2357. Tax credit for hiring registered apprentice or veteran apprentice. (1) Subject to the provisions of 39-6-109, a taxpayer is allowed a credit against the tax imposed by chapter 31 or this chapter for employing a registered apprentice or registered veteran apprentice who works in Montana.
(2) The credit may not exceed the taxpayer's tax liability and may not be carried forward or carried back.
(3) The credit may be claimed only in the tax year in which the department of labor and industry approved the credit as provided in 39-6-109(4). If a taxpayer claims the credit but was not approved by the department of labor and industry, the taxpayer's return must be processed without regard to the credit.
(4) For fiscal year filers, the credit available to claim in the current fiscal year is the credit allowed for the calendar year that ends within the taxpayer's fiscal period.
(5) Subject to the probationary period provided for in 39-6-109, if an employer employs an apprentice for less than the full preceding calendar year, the employer may apply for the full credit for the year in which the apprentice was employed.
(6) The department shall, after consultation with the department of labor and industry, prescribe a form for a taxpayer to claim the tax credit. The form must provide the department with sufficient information for the proper administration of the credit.
(7) The department shall provide the department of labor and industry an annual report detailing the tax credit provided to employers for the previous year. The information provided to the department of labor and industry is subject to the provisions of 15-30-2618 and 15-31-511.
(8) The department may adopt rules, prepare forms, and maintain records that are necessary to implement this credit.