39-6-109. Employer apprenticeship tax credit -- increased credit for employing veteran apprentice. (1) An employer that employs an apprentice or a veteran apprentice who works in Montana as a new employee in a state-registered apprenticeship training program is eligible for an annual credit against income taxes imposed pursuant to Title 15, chapter 30 or 31.
(2) The amount of the credit is limited to:
(a) except as provided in subsection (2)(b), $750 for each apprentice employed; and
(b) $1,500 for each apprentice employed who is a veteran.
(3) A tax credit is not available to the employer until after the apprentice has completed the apprentice training program's probationary period or 6 months, whichever is earlier.
(4) An employer shall apply each year to the department to receive approval to claim the credit for the preceding calendar year. The credit may not be claimed for more than 5 tax years for each individual apprentice. The department shall provide a successful applicant with the form provided for in 15-30-2357(6).
(5) Prior to approving a tax credit, the department shall verify that the employee for which the credit is sought is employed in a state-registered apprenticeship program, that the employee is a new employee in an apprenticeship program, and whether the employee is a veteran.
(6) By December 31 each year, the department shall provide to the department of revenue a list of the employers approved for the tax credit, the apprentices employed by the employer, and the aggregate total of tax credits allowed. The list must include the federal tax identification number of the employer and the name and social security number or federal tax identification number of the registered apprentice.
(8) The department shall provide to each high school in the state information about apprenticeship programs, including but not limited to occupations for which apprenticeships are available, student application requirements, and program requirements.
(9) The department may adopt rules necessary to administer this section.
(10) For the purposes of this section, the following definitions apply:
(a) "New employee" means an individual who was not employed as an apprentice or veteran apprentice before January 1, 2018.
(b) "Veteran" has the meaning provided in 39-29-101.