15-68-101. Definitions. For purposes of this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise, the following definitions apply:
(1) (a) "Accommodations" means short-term rentals or individual sleeping rooms, suites, camping spaces, or other units offered for overnight lodging periods of less than 30 days to the general public for compensation.
(b) Accommodations include units located in property represented to the public as a hotel, motel, campground, resort, dormitory, condominium inn, dude ranch, guest ranch, hostel, public lodginghouse, bed and breakfast facility, vacation home, home, apartment, timeshare, room, or rooms rented by or on behalf of the owner or seller.
(c) The term does not include:
(i) a health care facility, as defined in 50-5-101;
(ii) any facility owned by a corporation organized under Title 35, chapter 2 or 3;
(iii) a facility that is used primarily by persons under 18 years of age for camping purposes; or
(iv) rooms or spaces offered separately to the general public for nonlodging purposes, including meeting, conference, or banquet spaces.
(2) (a) "Base rental charge" means the following:
(i) charges for time of use of the rental vehicle and mileage, if applicable;
(ii) charges accepted by the renter for insurance;
(iii) charges for additional drivers or underage drivers; and
(iv) charges for child safety restraints, luggage racks, ski racks, or other accessory equipment for the rental vehicle.
(b) The term does not include:
(i) rental vehicle price discounts allowed and taken;
(ii) rental charges or other charges or fees imposed on the rental vehicle owner or operator for the privilege of operating as a concessionaire at an airport terminal building;
(iii) motor fuel;
(iv) intercity rental vehicle drop charges; or
(v) taxes imposed by the federal government or by state or local governments.
(3) (a) "Campground" means a place used for public camping where persons may camp, secure tents, or park individual recreational vehicles for camping and sleeping purposes.
(b) The term does not include that portion of a trailer court, trailer park, or mobile home park intended for occupancy by trailers or mobile homes for resident dwelling purposes for periods of 30 consecutive days or more.
(4) "Engaging in business" means carrying on or causing to be carried on any activity with the purpose of receiving direct or indirect benefit.
(5) (a) "Motor vehicle" means:
(i) a light vehicle as defined in 61-1-101;
(ii) a motorcycle as defined in 61-1-101;
(iii) a motor-driven cycle as defined in 61-1-101;
(iv) a quadricycle as defined in 61-1-101;
(v) a motorboat or a sailboat as defined in 23-2-502; or
(vi) an off-highway vehicle as defined in 23-2-801 that:
(A) is rented for a period of not more than 30 days;
(B) is rented without a driver, pilot, or operator; and
(C) is designed to transport 15 or fewer passengers.
(b) Motor vehicle includes:
(i) a rental vehicle rented pursuant to a contract for insurance; and
(ii) a truck, trailer, or semitrailer that has a gross vehicle weight of less than 22,000 pounds, that is rented without a driver, and that is used in the transportation of personal property.
(c) The term does not include farm vehicles, machinery, or equipment.
(6) "Online hosting platform" means any person that provides an online application, software, website, or system through which a seller may advertise, rent, or furnish accommodations or rental vehicles and through which a purchaser may arrange for use of those accommodations or the use or lease of rental vehicles. Online hosting platforms include any online travel company or third-party reservation intermediary that facilitates the sale or use of accommodations or rental vehicles.
(7) "Person" means an individual, estate, trust, fiduciary, corporation, partnership, limited liability company, limited liability partnership, online hosting platform, or any other legal entity.
(8) "Purchaser" means a person to whom a sale of accommodations or a rental vehicle is made or to whom a service is furnished.
(9) "Rental vehicle" means a motor vehicle that is used for or by a person other than the owner of the motor vehicle through an arrangement and for consideration.
(10) "Retail sale" means any sale, lease, or rental for any purpose other than for resale, sublease, or subrent.
(11) "Sale" or "selling" means the rental or use of accommodations or rental vehicles for consideration or the performance of a service for consideration.
(12) (a) "Sales price" applies to the measure subject to the tax under Title 15, chapter 65, and this chapter and means the total amount paid by the purchaser in the form of consideration, including cash, credit, property, and services, for which sales of accommodations, rental vehicles, or services are provided, sold, leased, or rented or valued in money, whether received in money or otherwise, without any deduction for the following:
(i) the seller's cost of the property sold;
(ii) the cost of materials used, labor or service costs, interest, losses, all costs of transportation to the seller, all taxes imposed on the seller, and any other expense of the seller;
(iii) charges by the seller for any services necessary to complete the sale;
(iv) delivery charges; or
(v) installation charges.
(b) The amount received for charges listed in subsections (12)(a)(ii) through (12)(a)(v) are excluded from the sales price if they are separately stated on the invoice, billing, or similar document given to the purchaser and the charge is not subject to subsection (12)(d).
(c) The term does not include:
(i) charges for meals, transportation, entertainment, or any other similar charges; or
(ii) any taxes legally imposed directly on the consumer that are separately stated on the invoice, bill of sale, or similar document given to the purchaser.
(d) Unless specifically excluded, sales price includes any separate charge or fee that a purchaser must pay to facilitate the sale or rental of the accommodations or rental vehicle, including a fee or a service, commission, or other charge by an online hosting platform.
(13) "Sales tax" and "use tax" mean the applicable tax imposed by 15-68-102.
(14) "Seller" means a person that makes sales of accommodations or rental vehicles, including an online hosting platform.
(15) (a) "Service" means an activity that is engaged in for another person for consideration and that is distinguished from the sale or lease of accommodations or rental vehicles. Service includes activities performed by an online hosting platform.
(b) In determining what a service is, the intended use, principal objective, or ultimate objective of the contracting parties is irrelevant.
(16) "Short-term rental" means any individually or collectively owned single-family house or dwelling unit or any unit or group of units in a condominium, cooperative, timeshare, or owner-occupied residential home that is offered for a fee for 30 days or less.
(17) "Short-term rental marketplace" means a person that provides a platform through which a seller or the authorized agent of the seller offers a short-term rental to an occupant.
(18) "Timeshare" means any facility for which multiple parties or individuals own a right to use the facility for lodging purposes, and these parties or individuals do not hold claim to ownership of the physical property.