17-7-130. Budget stabilization reserve fund -- rules for deposits and transfers -- purpose. (1) There is an account in the state special revenue fund established by 17-2-102 known as the budget stabilization reserve fund.
(2) The purpose of the budget stabilization reserve fund is:
(a) to mitigate budget reductions when there is a revenue shortfall; and
(b) when there are funds in excess of the reserve level, to:
(i) pay down the debt service on bonds for capital projects previously authorized by the legislature if allowed without penalty by the terms of the bond issuance; and
(ii) delay, forego, or reduce the amount of an issuance of bonds authorized by the legislature.
(3) By August 1 of each year, the department of administration shall certify to the legislative fiscal analyst and the budget director the following:
(a) the unaudited, unassigned ending fund balance of the general fund for the prior fiscal year; and
(b) the amount of unaudited general fund revenue and transfers into the general fund received in the prior fiscal year recorded when that fiscal year's statewide accounting, budgeting, and human resource system records are closed. General fund revenue and transfers into the general fund are those recorded in the statewide accounting, budgeting, and human resource system using generally accepted accounting principles in accordance with 17-1-102.
(4) For the fiscal years beginning July 1, 2016, through July 1, 2020, if actual general fund revenue exceeds the revenue estimate established pursuant to 5-5-227 for that fiscal year, excess revenue over the amount of revenue that exceeds the revenue estimate by $15 million is allocated as follows:
(a) 50% remains in the general fund; and
(b) 50% is transferred into the budget stabilization reserve fund on or before August 15 of the following fiscal year.
(5) Starting in the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2021, the state treasurer shall transfer, by August 15 of the following fiscal year, from the general fund to the budget stabilization reserve fund an amount equal to 50% of the excess revenue for the fiscal year.
(6) After a transfer is made pursuant to subsection (4) or (5), if the balance of the fund exceeds an amount equal to 4.5% of all general fund appropriations in the second year of the biennium in the subsequent fiscal year, any funds in excess of that amount must be transferred to the account established in 17-7-208 by August 16 of each fiscal year.
(7) For the purposes of this section, the following definitions apply:
(a) "Adjusted revenue" means general fund revenue for the prior fiscal year plus the growth amount.
(b) "Excess revenue" means the amount of general fund revenue, including transfers in, for the most recently completed fiscal year minus adjusted revenue.
(c) "Growth amount" means general fund revenue for the prior fiscal year multiplied by the growth rate.
(d) "Growth rate" means the average compound rate of growth of general fund revenue for the most recently completed 6 fiscal years.