33-2-2402. Definitions. As used in this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Claims processing services" means the administrative services performed in connection with the processing and adjudicating of claims relating to pharmacist services that include either or both of the following:
(a) receiving payments for pharmacist services; and
(b) making payments to pharmacists or pharmacies.
(2) "Enrollee" means a member, policyholder, subscriber, covered person, beneficiary, dependent, or other individual participating in a health benefit plan.
(3) "Federally certified health entity" means a 340B covered entity as described in 42 U.S.C. 256b(a)(4).
(4) "Health benefit plan" means a policy, contract, certificate, or agreement entered into, offered, or issued by a health carrier to provide, deliver, arrange for, pay for, or reimburse any of the costs of health care services.
(5) (a) "Health carrier" means an entity that is subject to the insurance laws and regulations of this state or to the jurisdiction of the commissioner and that contracts or offers to contract or enters into an agreement to provide, deliver, arrange for, pay for, or reimburse any of the costs of health care services.
(b) The term includes:
(i) self-funded multiple employer welfare arrangements as defined in 33-35-103; and
(ii) any other entity providing a plan of health insurance, health benefits, or health care services.
(6) "Manufacturer" has the meaning provided in 37-7-602.
(7) "Other prescription drug or device services" means services other than claims processing services that are provided directly or indirectly, whether in connection with or separate from claims processing services, including but not limited to:
(a) negotiating rebates, discounts, or other financial incentives and arrangements with manufacturers, wholesale distributors, or other third parties;
(b) disbursing or distributing rebates;
(c) managing or participating in incentive programs or arrangements for pharmacist services;
(d) negotiating or entering into contractual arrangements with pharmacists, pharmacies, or both;
(e) developing and maintaining formularies;
(f) designing prescription drug benefit programs;
(g) advertising or promoting services; or
(h) administering prior authorization, step therapy, case management, or other utilization review programs.
(8) "Pharmacist" has the meaning provided in 33-22-170.
(9) "Pharmacist services" means products, goods, and services or any combination of products, goods, and services provided as part of the practice of pharmacy.
(10) "Pharmacy" means an established location, either physical or electronic, that is licensed by the board of pharmacy pursuant to Title 37, chapter 7.
(11) (a) "Pharmacy benefit manager" means a person, including a wholly or partially owned or controlled subsidiary of a pharmacy benefit manager, that provides claims processing services or other prescription drug or device services, or both, to:
(i) enrollees who are residents of this state, for health benefit plans; or
(ii) injured workers of workers' compensation insurance carriers.
(b) The term does not include:
(i) a health care facility as defined in 50-5-101 that is licensed in this state;
(ii) a health care professional licensed under Title 37;
(iii) a consultant who provides advice only as to the selection or performance of a pharmacy benefit manager; or
(iv) a health carrier or workers' compensation insurance carrier to the extent that the carrier performs any claims processing and other prescription drug or device services exclusively for its enrollees or injured workers.
(12) "Plan sponsor" has the meaning provided in 33-10-202.
(13) (a) "Rebates" means all price concessions, however characterized, paid by a manufacturer to a pharmacy benefit manager, including discounts and other remuneration or price concessions, that are based on the actual or estimated utilization of a prescription drug.
(b) The term includes price concessions based on the effectiveness of a prescription drug as in a value-based or performance-based contract.
(14) "Wholesale acquisition cost" has the meaning provided in 42 U.S.C. 1395w-3a.
(15) "Wholesale distributor" or "distributor" has the meaning provided in 37-7-602.
(16) "Workers' compensation insurance carrier" means:
(a) an insurance company transacting business under compensation plan No. 2; or
(b) the state fund compensation plan No. 3 under Title 39, chapter 71.