61-3-312. Renewal of registration -- exceptions -- grace period. (1) Except as provided in 61-3-313 and 61-3-721, the registration of a motor vehicle under this chapter must be renewed on or before the last day of the month of the motor vehicle's registration period following the expiration of the motor vehicle's registration.
(2) A person may renew a motor vehicle's registration by submitting full payment for the fees or taxes required under 61-3-303 and 61-3-321(13) to the department, an authorized agent, or a county treasurer in any county of this state.
(3) The department, an authorized agent, or a county treasurer shall use the online motor vehicle liability insurance verification system provided in 61-6-157 to verify proof of compliance with 61-6-301.
(4) The registration period originally assigned under 61-3-311 must be retained and the duration of the renewed registration is determined in accordance with 61-3-311. A registration receipt is valid for the registration period for which it is issued.
(5) The owner of a motor vehicle subject to registration renewal under the provisions of this section is considered to have renewed the motor vehicle's registration in a timely manner if the owner submits full payment for the required fees or taxes, as prescribed in the mail renewal notice from the department, to the department, an authorized agent, or a county treasurer on or before the last day of the month of the motor vehicle's registration period.
(6) The department, an authorized agent, or a county treasurer may not renew the registration of a motor vehicle for which ownership has been transferred and that was originally registered without being titled under the provisions of 61-3-303(4)(b) unless:
(a) the previously issued certificate of title has been surrendered to the department, an authorized agent, or the county treasurer and the process for issuing a certificate of title has been completed; or
(b) the person to whom ownership of the motor vehicle has been transferred presents an affidavit and bond in support of the application for a certificate of title as permitted in 61-3-208.