Montana Code Annotated 2023



Part 7. Importation Permits and Health Certificates

Documents Required For Importation -- Exemptions

81-2-703. Documents required for importation -- exemptions. (1) Animals, animal semen, and animal biologics may not be brought into the state if significant danger to public or animal health will result upon entry into the state. Livestock infected with or exposed to brucellosis, tuberculosis, or any other infectious, contagious, or communicable disease may not enter the state unless destined directly for slaughter at a slaughterhouse under the supervision of the United States department of agriculture.

(2) Except as provided in subsection (6), an animal or animal semen may not be brought into the state without a health certificate or other documentation of animal movement approved by the department.

(3) Prior to entry into the state, the department may also require a permit for animals, animal semen, or animal biologics.

(4) The department may waive the requirement for a health certificate, permit, or documentation of animal movement as provided in subsection (7).

(5) All required documents must be attached to the waybill or be in possession of the driver of the transporting vehicle or of the person in charge of the animals. When a single permit or health certificate is issued for animals being moved in more than one vehicle, the driver of each vehicle must have in the driver's possession a copy of the permit and, when applicable, a health certificate.

(6) Animals, animal semen, or animal biologics being moved through the state with no intent to unload or deliver in the state are exempted from this part. In an emergency situation, transitory cargo may be unloaded in compliance with the quarantine rules promulgated by the department.

(7) A waiver of the requirement for a health certificate, permit, or documentation of animal movement must be based upon evidence that there will be no significant danger to the public or animal health if the exemption is granted.

History: En. Sec. 3, Ch. 65, L. 1981; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 44, L. 1983; amd. Sec. 2637, Ch. 56, L. 2009; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 125, L. 2019.