87-4-406. Definitions. As used in this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Alternative livestock" means a privately owned caribou, white-tailed deer, mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, mountain sheep, or mountain goat indigenous to the state of Montana, a privately owned reindeer, or any other cloven-hoofed ungulate as classified by the department. Black bear and mountain lion must be regulated pursuant to Title 87, chapter 4, part 8.
(2) "Alternative livestock ranch" means the enclosed land area upon which alternative livestock may be kept for purposes of obtaining, rearing in captivity, keeping, or selling alternative livestock or parts of alternative livestock, as authorized under this part.
(3) "Cloven-hoofed ungulate" means an animal of the order Artiodactyla, except a member of the families suidae, camelidae, or hippopotamidae. The term does not include domestic pigs, domestic cows, domestic yaks, domestic sheep, domestic goats that are not naturally occurring in the wild in their country of origin, or bison.
(4) "Department" means the department of fish, wildlife, and parks.
(5) "Facilities" means perimeter fences and other enclosures that provide for the confinement, handling, and quarantine of alternative livestock.
(6) "Game animals" means game animals, as defined in 87-2-101, that are not the lawful property of any private person.
(7) "Person" means an individual, firm, corporation, association, or partnership.